280 z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 280 z

Theres a 280 z for sale and i was thinking about getting it. Does anyone know the specs, like if its front/rear wheel or if its a good drift car? I really wanna make it a project Devil Z car from Maximum Tune.

if you dont know if a 280z is front or rear wheel drive then it really isnt the car or you. Z cars are old which means stuff is gonn break alot for abou thte first year of owning it. If you buy a z car expect to spend atleast 50% of the time you own it under the hood or with it up onjackstands. thay are great drifting cars, i drift a 240, its a wonderfully balanced and very controllable car. Unless you have some pretty good mehanical knowledgd though, i wouldnt buy it.

Comment

what he said^^
      and from what i remember...the devil z car is a 240z...(im most likely wrong)..and the 280 is a POS..my dad had one...hated it...

Comment

Originally posted by MoNkEy_MaGiCx
        what he said^^
        and from what i remember...the devil z car is a 240z...(im most likely wrong)..and the 280 is a POS..my dad had one...hated it...
        they ar eall reallyg ood cars, just not for a rookie tuner.

Comment

yeahh, the owner said somthing about it slipping out of reverse. The interior looks pretty bad anyway, the dash is cracked along w/ the leather seats. Too much for me to fix.

Comment

Wouldnt bother with it then, for those who dont know the 240z is an fr car using a straight 6 with about 150 horsepower. The 280z is the same thing except it has 4 seats instead of 2.

The cars got plenty of torque and is fairly light weight, so it accelerates fine for its age and handles nicely, this car killed the competition of its time.

Things to cosnider: Being so old this car is typicaly exemt from smog, leaving you the ability to put whatever enging in that you can fit (and its a straight 6, so what cant you fit?) and do whatever you want to it without worrying abo smog at all. i wouldnt wanna break the 3-400 horsepower mark though with few exceptions just due to how lightweight the vehicle is.

Its got a small aftermarket so if you want something useful you may have to consider custom fabrication work to make it work out properly.

Last great thing about the car, you can pick em up fairly cheap- a nice one inside and out with no problems will run you a few thousand dollars- granted thats a lot for a 30+ year old car, its not a lot if you consider the fact youd be getting an awesome sports car in great condition. 3000 bucks to get a good autox or drift car is still fairly cheap.

Added: You guys should try helping instead of critisizing you could have just answered the guy in the time it took you to reply but whatever. Another thing this should really be in the newbie section i think..

Comment

your wrong about hte 280 z

the 260(74) and 280(75-78) were offered in 2 different models theres was the standard coup(exact same body style as 240) and the 2+2(4 seater). Many MANY people have z's that are pushing way over 500 hp, and because of the independant suspensions squat characteristics the car has AMAZING weight transfer and is perfectly suited to high horsepower applications. granted that with 250 Hp you can be running mid 12's at the 1/4 all day long.

i never criticized him so stop acting like your some fuc king saint. The guy obviously is a rookie and im just trying to steer him away from a big mistake. These are great cars to learn on but someone like him should buy something newer like a 240sx so that he has something very reliable to learn on.

Comment

Um, something easier to learn on than a 280z is a 240sx? What can be any more straightforward to learn on then a 2.8 straight six? Plus, they are just as reliable as a 240. I don't know what Z you got, but mine runs all the time. You need to coax it every now and again, but you got to do that with any car that you change.

If you want the car get it. It's old and the dash is cracked sure, but you can get a dash cap, you can get anything you want for that car online and most hard parts can be had through Autozone. If you really want to find out about the car, go to Z specific websites, you will get the real scoop there.
                Last edited by Ghost of Duluth; 11-21-2004, 03:33 PM.

Comment

So sorry dead, i bow to your greatness and mastery of the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by SidewaysGts
                    So sorry dead, i bow to your greatness and mastery of the internet.

well thankye slideways

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
                      Um, something easier to learn on than a 280z is a 240sx? What can be any more straightforward to learn on then a 2.8 straight six? Plus, they are just as reliable as a 240. I don't know what Z you got, but mine runs all the time. You need to coax it every now and again, but you got to do that with any car that you change.

If you want the car get it. It's old and the dash is cracked sure, but you can get a dash cap, you can get anything you want for that car online and most hard parts can be had through Autozone. If you really want to find out about the car, go to Z specific websites, you will get the real scoop there.

I didnt say easier to learn on i said more RELIABLE to learn on. A 1990 240sx is going to be much more reliable and less prone to leaving him high and dry than an old heap(allbe it a cool *Censored**Censored**Censored* heap) from the 70s. In the first month of ownership i can almost guarantee that he is gonna have problems and get frustrated with it, thats gonna be bad for his entire outlook on modding cars. Wouldnt it be nicer to have something that you can jump in and go driving everyday without worry,learn the easy maintenance on, and when the times comes swap in an sr20 or rb26 and feel like your the king of the world? Im just saying a z is a bad car to START on.

Comment

Which is why u set realistic goals and have real-life expectations Or you can do what id do and buy one thats been well maintained to begin with, sure it may cost more but if your new to cars and cant do a lot yourself, youll REALLY appreciate it. Just because its old doesnt mean it has to fall apart like it is.

Comment

I have a 76 280Z, it took a lot of mechanic work to get it to where it is now, U-joints going bad among various mechanical problems, but now it's running more reliably than my girlfriend's '90 240sx. BTW, my Z IS my first car. If you aren't a car enthusiast don't buy a Z, because it will turn you into one.

BTW, all this crap about the 280Z sucking compared to the 240Z is a bunch of B.S. It's the same car, just with bigger bumpers, a bigger engine and fuel injection. Don't confuse the 280Z and the 280ZX, which is the big and boaty one.

Comment

the zx is actually better fpr racing purposes, the body is much stiffer and better reinforced than the 240.

Comment

I drive my 260 daily. I also yanked a 400 horse 306 ford out of it and stuck the 6 back in. Mine has an aftermarket harness and alot of other mods. I have had no problems out of mine except losing the tranny, I (or rather Budget Transmission since I didn't feel like fooling with it) swapped in a 5 speed I picked up for 150 bucks and im golden now. My car also sat for 3 years prior to me doing anything to it and the motor sat under a workbench. I slapped my carbs that I got off Ebay on there and i'm driving it daily with no chokes. I don't know how much easier it can get than that.

In all fairness though, anything you get that is old is bound to have some problems. But I would rather have problems that didn't require the help of a computer system to diagnose But you right, they are cool. I love mine, don't think about sliding it though due to the massive amounts of metal and time at a fab shop to fix it should I wreck it, but its great in the mountains.

Comment

Working...
                              X