Long Term Effects of a vibration caused by the tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term Effects of a vibration caused by the tires

Hey, my family has a PT Cruiser (FWD) and my mom kinda smacked it into a curb on accident one day (turning left from a stoplight, turned with an arc to go into the far lane in a 6 lane road, but it was only 4, so she hit the curb angled enough to cause it to bounce like a pinball off the wall instead of jump it). At first all we thought she did was scratch it, but it turns out thats not the only problem.

Around 35-45 MPH, I can feel... well... a soft vibration throughout the car. If I put my feet on the floorboard, I can feel it vibrating. When I'm driving (I drive with socks. Mom drives with shoes so she hasn't noticed this) I can feel the petal vibrating slightly (up and down). If I go 50-55 I can't even notice it, slower, same deal, but in that speed range (which I go alot. Speed limits are 40 or 45 around here unless you're on the highway) I feel that vibrating.

Now, I think she might of bent the wheel a little, and it is wobbling or something. But if that isn't the case, what can it be?

And whatever the problem is, what are the long term effects of continuing to drive it like that? Uneven Tire Wear? Maybe Suspension stress? Because pretty much my mom can't afford to fix it, so she won't bring it to the dealership, and I want to know if it is safe to drive (I don't like to be home )

Get an alignment.

Comment

That costs money, so my mom won't do it now. I want to know if driving it is going to make it cost more and possible break something, or if I can go ahead and drive it without worry. If it is going to break something, I need to Garage it. If not, my Social life shale not be hindered

Comment

strut wear, wheel bearing wear, tie rod ends, pretty much anything attached to the shake.

Unless it's BAD I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

Yeah, it won't kill you, but don't let it go on forever.

Besides, alignments are normal maintenance, not repairs. Your mom should be accustomed to it.

Comment

Working...
          X