MR2 differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MR2 differential

would it be possible to put an AE86 rear differential into a MR2 AW11 without major headaches? would there be any benefit to this? (im asking because ive been told the MR2 has an open differential)

anyone? is there anything similar to this that might work? and if not how much would it cost to get the diff. welded, and also would it be "daily-driver material" after this is done? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

try asking at club4ag im sure more guys drive aw11 over there

Comment

yeah i'll try that. thanks

Comment

you can buy a LSD for the AW11, but it's REALLY expensive. My father looked into one when we rallied an AW11, but decided to weld it instead.

If you want to do it cheap, just weld it. It's actually not as bad on the road as people claim.

Comment

The 86 dif though i doubt it would bolt right up would probably be fine. Theyre pretty cheap, assuming you got some of the tools youd need you could probably get what you needed at a junk yard and have it put on for a few hundred bucks.

Daily driving would be fine if your using the stock lsd (make sure you rebuild it before you put it on though lol) from the 86 would be fine, its only a 1 way anyways.

Comment

Just going out on a limb here, but I'm going to say no. The 86 is a front engine/rear drive car with a separate diff. The mr2 has more of a front wheel drive powertrain layout (mounted mid-ship), but I suspect the differential would be part of the transmission.

Comment

I'm wondering if the Corolla GT-S LSD will fit into the pumpkin of the AW11... the AW11 is IRS and the AE86 is solid, which is the main reason it may not fit.

Any luck from 4ag?

Comment

Re: MR2 differential

Originally posted by SlidnZC4075
                  would it be possible to put an AE86 rear differential into a MR2 AW11 without major headaches? would there be any benefit to this? (im asking because ive been told the MR2 has an open differential)
                  No it will not WORK !

if you have a chance look at the rear of an AW11 and an AE86.

Comment

yea i agree with racer981. I seriously doubt it will work. My advice....save you money and buy an aftermarket diff. I used to have a sw20 92 turbo mr2 and once i changed my factory differential to a cusco lsd it made one BIG difference. I could take corners at 60 mph with no problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X