How to Increase S13 Shassis rigidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Increase S13 Shassis rigidity

I was concerned my shassis would flex during hard drifting. My old man is a machinist and can make stainless steel bars (any shape). Was wondering if this is do-able and which beams should be reinforced on the under carriage.
    Last edited by D1champ; 11-27-2004, 08:58 AM.

Just make a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintDrift
      Just make a cage.
      I would but I still want to keep it relatively daily driveable.

Comment

Well, if you know how to weld and you're willing to go pyscho on your car, you can always do it like this:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20t...ot%20Staff.htm

Strip the entire car and strengthen every freaking joint on the car, and you could probably weld on some steel bars to whatever part you want to make it stronger. You could probably remove weight at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkyrie
          Well, if you know how to weld and you're willing to go pyscho on your car, you can always do it like this:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20t...ot%20Staff.htm

Strip the entire car and strengthen every freaking joint on the car, and you could probably weld on some steel bars to whatever part you want to make it stronger. You could probably remove weight at the same time.
          That is what I was think about, maybe not that extreme but maybe welding on flat strands of 3" wide stainless about 1/8" thick. along the subframe. What do you guys think?

Comment

Have your dad fab up fender braces (see SPL's website for design), box and run a strengthening member between the tension rod mounts, create a triangulated rear strut tower brace (or tie the strut tower braces to the subframe mounts), run a rear crossbrace across the footwell, make a beefy front strut tower brace, and you should be well off. If you could integrate it, some sort of brace across the transmission tunnel would probably help, too.

Comment

i have a shell i was gonna learn to weld on , i was thinkign about just custom fabbing strut towers, cage, and maybe some jack rails for the side , but if you start addign stuff and are thiking about FD later on in life you might wanna make sure you dont go into stuff that could be considered tube frame mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Ris4drift
                i have a shell i was gonna learn to weld on , i was thinkign about just custom fabbing strut towers, cage, and maybe some jack rails for the side , but if you start addign stuff and are thiking about FD later on in life you might wanna make sure you dont go into stuff that could be considered tube frame mods.
                I agree, I want to keep everything "behind the scenes", no roll cage for me. Fender braces seems like a good idea, anyone have design schematics for those spl parts??

Comment

Working...
                X