• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacktop & Redtop, Same Block?

is a blacktop amd a red top block the same or not???? please amswer

yes

Comment

bascailly their both the same, only diff that ive read is that a black top is usually better at upgrading, but not by a huge noticable diff. i read the black top has stronger rods or something which makes it able to tune better or somethin. please correct me if im wrong.

Comment

now i dont know if im correct or not but im pretty sure that if the block has grooves in it then its a blacktop and if it doesnt than its a redtop. theres a pic below to show you what i mean.

hope that helps..
        Attached Files

Comment

the blacktop has heatsink ridges on the front of the block and the redtop does not. The black top has oil squirters to cool the pistons. There are a lot of differences between the two but both are great engines. The s14 blacktop has variable valve timing but not the s13 blacktop.

Comment

another difference between the 2....is that the blacktop cylinder heads were designed to breath a little better then the ones on the red top

now i dont know if im correct or not but im pretty sure that if the block has grooves in it then its a blacktop and if it doesnt than its a redtop
            yea that true

Comment

if you are reffering to a S13 Redtop and S13 Blacktop Sr20det bottom end
              they are the same
              rods and pistons same part number
              all sr20det have cooling channels in the main bearings
              as for the heads
              only difference is early model S13 redtop motors did not have heatsink markings on the front of the head
              although late model S13 Sr20dets did use them

Comment

To quote Bill sherwood

the bottom end of the 20v is much the same as the small port 16v 4AGE, but the pistons are different on both types and so cannot be swapped over.
                If you dont know who he is, you might not know the 4age as well as you thought

Comment

hey

thnks guys.. i have a blacktop block den cause i have all the things yall tellin me bout. but does that emna that i can used redtop [arts den? since they both da same?

Comment

please use english^

Comment

The blocks arent the same, only similar. All internals are very different, so more then likely you cant swap parts. Piston heads are different the crank shaft is different the conrods are different.

Comment

Well the S13 blacktop has ridges on the cylinder head not the block and s14 and s15 blacktops have variable valve timing other than that they are pretty much the same...

Comment

just soo were all on the same page are we talking about
                          a 4AGE motor or a Nissan SR20det S13
                          coz we got people talking about 4ag's and SR blocks
                          -Don't forget the struggle. Don't forget the streets-

www.driftalliance.com
                          www.clubloose.com

Listen to Motley Crue

Comment

it has to be a sr20 becuase um the diffenrnce between a red top 4ag and black top 4ag is ummmm a lot

Comment

^-- It just occured to me..which fricken engine is this guy talking about? Im a 4a nut, so i instantly took it as the 4age.... but i see a lot of stuff abou the 240s

whoops?

Comment

Working...
                              X