• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter Help!

is it hard to swap out a auto for a manual shifter
    or do i need to get a hole new tranny

just got a a rx7 but its a auto...

NOO.. all you need is to find some way to put a really tiiiiiite shift knob on your automatic shifter.....

OF COURSE YOU NEED TO SWAP THE TRANNY!!!! What kind of question is this ....... plus pedal assembly, flywheel, clutch, clutch M/S, clutch line for slave, driveshaft, ecu, etc ..
    Last edited by TurboII; 12-14-2004, 02:30 PM.

Comment

to answer ur question with someting other than a flame, yes you will need to to a tranny swap. As far as how difficult it is, its definitely very do-able. if you have the correct tools and a lift of some sort, and are somewhat mechanically inclined, it souldnt be to bad of a job. 1 days work. Good luck with ur swap!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean.C

wow, thats really sad that you could think you wouldn't need to switch trans.

Comment

yeah its common sense, but hey, we were all new to tuning at one point or another. we arent born tuners, you have to work at it. But in my opinion, its better to ask and get your facts straight then to juust be an *Censored**Censored**Censored* hole and asume you know.

Comment

^some of you can learn a little politeness from him.

As was stated, a whole new tranny would be needed. As well, you'd need everything else associated with that tranny between the engine and wheels. Even some of the same parts may be different between the auto and manual versions of the car, driveshaft going to the rear end for example(may also be the exact same). You'd need to figure out how much needs to be done to get your auto to a manual.

From your initial post, you came across as not very mechanical. I'm assuming you have little experience with such matters, so I would suggest going to a shop to have the work done. It beats needing the knowhow and the large variety of tools needed for the job.

Comment

i'm presuming this is an FC (86-92) Rx-7, so to tell you the truth, your best bet (and probably cheapest) would be to find a manual FC with a blown motor and buy the whole car. You can pick them up for around $500 if you look, maybe even cheaper. With that, you can either swap everything you need from the manual over to your car, or if the other car is nicer, swap your engine into it?? whatever suits your style. and BTW, if you could, an 87+ Turbo II car would be better, they were built with a more solid drivetrain, but are gonna be more expensive. Happy hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Sean.C

i am not bashing when i say this but it would be cheaper to go out and find the exact same car with Standard tranny (Manual tranny).

Comment

Working...
                X