Help car having trouble! plz help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help car having trouble! plz help

I dont know what it is, but while driving my car, I can get into second gear but after shifting into second gear, the rpm goes up, but the speed goes down (and yes I know how to drive manual transmission, it was running fine then one day it started doing this) there are also some clunking noises that could be heard i dont know if its coming front or the rear or both areas. sometimes there is a strong odor of gas. does anyone know what the problem could be? my car is a 1985 corolla gts with lsd rearend and a 7rib big port 4a-ge redtop. thanks for any info I will update if i come up with more problems.

when you put it into second and are not accelerating that sounds like your clutch, not shure about the clunking or gas smell though.
    try and do a big burnout up a hill or something, if you cant do it, and you start to smell a buring clutch, then you need a new clutch.

to put a new clutch in:
    drop drivesaft
    unblot starter, slave cylinder etc.
    drop tranny
    remove clutch
    sand flywheel and clean with brake cleaner
    put on new clutch, bearings etc.
    put tranny and accesories back on
    put driveshaft back on
    refill clutch resivior with brak fluid, bleed cluthc system(helps if you have a friend with you)

i heard you are supposed to break int h e cluthc for 500 miles, i didnt and i havent had any problems but you never know.

good luck!

Comment

For the gas smell, check all of your fuel lines and any leakage, or checkout your exhaust, could be million of things.

Comment

thanks guys for the info. I think you are correct that i need to replace the clutch, as for the gas smell I guess its from the car struggling to get out of 1st gear. the gas smell comes very randomly it isnt always there, i will check it out though right after i replace the clutch.

again thanks for the info.

Comment

if u change the clutch correctly there should be no reason to refill the clutch master cylinder.

Comment

its just a good time to do it, i liek to do it when i change the cluthc because it give you the feeling of everything being all new

Comment

ah i understand. i can dig that

Comment

is that all you have to do to replace the clutch on a 1985 corolla gts? I called a place and they told me that I have to get the flywheel resurfaced?

Originally posted by sdtouge
                when you put it into second and are not accelerating that sounds like your clutch, not shure about the clunking or gas smell though.
                try and do a big burnout up a hill or something, if you cant do it, and you start to smell a buring clutch, then you need a new clutch.

to put a new clutch in:
                drop drivesaft
                unblot starter, slave cylinder etc.
                drop tranny
                remove clutch
                sand flywheel and clean with brake cleaner
                put on new clutch, bearings etc.
                put tranny and accesories back on
                put driveshaft back on
                refill clutch resivior with brak fluid, bleed cluthc system(helps if you have a friend with you)

i heard you are supposed to break int h e cluthc for 500 miles, i didnt and i havent had any problems but you never know.

good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X