Any 84 gts's made in the US?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any 84 gts's made in the US?!?

I was just wondering if there were any made....because i recently bought an 84 "sr5" and noticed that it had gts type seats in it...so i did a little more research on club4ag.com and found out it has an lsd (according to the vin number.) So I was thoughroughly confused...as it DID have drum brakes...I'm pretty sure this is a stock car and hasn't been molested other than a refurbished 4-ac motor...so what was is top of the line usdm 84 corolla hatchback...an sr5? Or did it only come in one model, THE sr5? If it helps it's original paint is copper colored too...from what i've seen it's not too common. Thanks in advance!

84's SR-5's came with GT-S seats. T283 in your VIN?

Comment

T283...yup and boy was i surprised to see that! so i guess 84 sr5's come with lsd/drum brake rear ends. So now that brings up another question...rear drum brakes...I've heard that they lock up really good....but i was under the impression that disc brakes are just plain better...so what are the advantages of disc brakes over drum brakes...i havent drifted her yet...as she isn't running well. So i haven't checked to see if drum brakes work well...i know there probably aren't any performance pads for drums but what other disadvantages/advantages do drums have?

Comment

The one advantage drum brakes have over disc brakes is that there is considerably less brake dust. Look at the rims of any car that hasn't been washed in a while that has disk brakes in front and drums in the back, the back is always a hell of a lot cleaner. Other than that I'd have to do some research.

Comment

I heard that drum brakes dont lose power in the rain unlike disc cause theyre covered by a shroud... dont know if thats true but it would kinda make sence....

Comment

well I'll probably end up swapping out the drums for discs....is that even possible? But does any one know what the top of the line 84 hatch was in the US?

Comment

i got a gts rearend on my sr5 and it is possible...if you need pics i can get some now....

Comment

see
                Attached Files

Comment

no i was wondering if you could keep the rear axle...and just swap the brakes only...now has anybody done that a rear drum to disc brake conv. on an sr5?...since I've already got an lsd it'll probably be cheaper if switch the drums to discs right?!? I've been spending so much time looking for a rear end thinking it wasn't and lsd...but later found out it was...so I'm just looking for better brakes...unless drums are better...which i doubt.

Comment

Not from what i understand, u need the whole rear end. R u sure u had an LSD? best way to do that is gun it in a straight line and see if u got 2 tire marks of if ur peg legging it.

The advantages of disks over drums are numerous, alogn with simplicity you also got things such as heat differences. Disks stay a lot cooler then drums (not enclosed)

Comment

you can get aftermarket drum pads(whatever there called) I saw some in my drift tengoku parts guide, so there out there if you need them. Project mu makes some.
                      Last edited by Ziptyed; 12-31-2004, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SidewaysGts
                        The advantages of disks over drums are numerous, alogn with simplicity you also got things such as heat differences. Disks stay a lot cooler then drums (not enclosed)
                        Yes...

better stopping
                        better heat dissipation
                        easier servicing

And to those of you who will care (and I sorta do) they look a hell of a lot better. It's retarded to look through a set of nice wheels and see a drum inside.

Comment

Haha thats becuase u know what it is, if drums performed better youd be all OOHH! it has drums! theyd be all shiney and *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* too, "Brembo" on a metalic drum, haha

Comment

Working...
                          X