No announcement yet.

RollCage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know guys without caged cars that run harnesses. I consider it safer than a regular seatbelt, especially the 3 inch ones. You just have to set it up right (with a support bar behind the seats). Here's the way I see it ... if the car flips and the roof caves in then you're screwed either way. Sure the stock style belts wont hold you tight in the seat as the roof crushes your face. Instead you're flying around on the inside getting mangled, maybe you even fly out the window. More likely though, the car wont flip. It can happen, and it has happened multiple times at our track, but its rare. Most accidents I've seen involve hitting stuff but staying upright. And in that case I would prefer a 3 inch harness, cage or no cage. I remember a particularly nasty incident while riding shotgun at a track event and the tires re-gripped unexpectedly while choku'ing by the guardrails, caused the car to shoot almost head-on into the guardrails at like 50 mph. The stock belt caught my collarbone wrong, kinda hurt. I always wondered if I would have broke if we were going faster. A 3 inch harness fits much better to your body and feels much better when stressed.

If you wanna talk cage safety you should mention putting padding anywhere where any limb can possibly reach, and make sure you are familiar with the harness release. I know guys that have daily drivers with cages, no problems. I would do it myself except for the fact that I'm really tall and its a major PITA to get in and out of cages cars, so not cool for my daily driver (which I do drift). But you better believe my track car is caged, harnessed, and padded. Hehehe.

Comment

Originally posted by zdss14
      is installing a harness wrong. even in a fairly minor fender bender, or hit from behind at a stop light, if your harness is mounted (or wrapped around your roll bar) lower than your neck and shoulders, you could easly compress your spine.
      Your only half right, yes people do mount it right behind there seat which would put alot of stress on you spine in an accident and is about the worst place to mount a harness, but if you get a harness thats meant ot wrap around a roll bar its about the safest you can get, as long as its wraped around a harness bar and not just some random part.

Comment

Working...
      X