No announcement yet.

Idea for less tire wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys realize that all that smoke is from the tires and not the pavement right?

All this is going to do is weigh you down and soak your wheel wells. Something about the burning rubber, friction, heat, and rapid movement of the tires makes me suspect that the water will not hang around on them long enough to matter.

Comment

Hmmm the basic idea is good, but the carrying out is the hard part, well so is with every good idea. What if instead of using water, you used something that weighed less, caused less friction, and was easier to lug around?

Comment

If you are trying to make the ground wet so your tires slide more easily, yer out of luck.

If you are just trying to cool them off between runs, use a hand-pump water sprayer and spray them down after your run. It does help some, and its cheap and simple.

Comment

the guys frome grassroots motorsports made this same system in there 86 and tryed to enter it in a drift event but were told they could not spray water all over the track. if you want i think you could find the article on ther site

Comment

Originally posted by mechaniac
            best advice for preventing tire wear?

stop driving so much

It's like asking the question "How can I get 30mpg from a 300hp engine?"
            LS1 gets 30 mpg....

Comment

Originally posted by ma71supraturbo
              if you want to really be usdm tyte, use bleach instead of water (watch the paint tho)
              to be precise, you should say "to make the tires want to chunk, use bleach"

Comment

im working on using the resivior and pump off my old ciivc for this precise use, i havent started on it or put much though into it, but from what ive looked at when tires get extremely hot from a lot of drifting they tend to chunk/die faster. i was giong to use a setup that after a lap at whatever event i was at i hit a switch while driving at @ 5mph to spray water onto the tires while they are spinning to dissipate some of the heat to prolong life. but simply getting them wet isnt ogin to make them last any longer, but using it as a way to dissipate heat will help keep them from simly melting apart as many of my tires have done in the past.

Comment

I was thinking that you'd have to use a hell of a lot of water to wet the pavement. Oh well. The theory is good, but the application is hard.

Comment

It's a good idea. Heat does a lot of damage to a tire. Even a small amount of water will do something. I'd almost think a continuous system or something that runs off tire speed to be best, not just short bursts. You could apply a small spray on the tires for say 20 minutes before refilling. Then just run an on/off switch to fire 'er up when you start your drift session.

A few things to think about:
                    -spray pattern(coverage, ability to get to tire(pressure, high speed stream))
                    -discharge rate and time till empty
                    -effectiveness of varying water amounts, find optimum
                    -water tank(sealed?) and water pick up points
                    -keep it simplistic/simple, nothing fancy or high tech is needed

Comment

i think this is a good idea also but... you also hav to remember how heavy water is and if it is in the back of your car it will defenitly throw off the weight balance... and to have enough water to actually do something for a given amount of time you would have to use alot of water which = alot of weight. one US gallon weighs 8.35lbs and that gallon would be used quickly so you would need more than one... to counter act this you would need to gut the interior to make it even again. and i believe the sloshing of the water would also make it harder...

Comment

you people are thinking too much. most peopel use garden sprayers with water to just spray some water onto the tires (saw it 1st at a drift event, noticed it more and more at auto-x and otehr events lately) , the water will steam off and dissipate the heat from the tire. not rocket science. spray water on tire ( i do not reccomend while on track, after a run) heat will somewhat dissipate. no this will not make your tires ice cold after a 2 minute long lap white smoking the tires the whole way in 100 degree heat. but it will help somewhat.

Comment

why not keep it REALLY simple? instead of spraying the ground in front, have small sprayers in your fenders and spray the tire, the tire will be going around anyways and pretty quickly. And use something SIMPLE like a washer pump and washer nozzles? that will spray relatively enough water onto your tire, and if you're worried about how long the water will last, use an on/off switch. use it on the straights to cool the tires, or whenever you have a second to flip the switch. worried about reaching? mount the switch as a button to your steering wheel. you wouldn't need much more than a washer fluid container full of water, so why not use a washer fluid container? this is the easiest, cheapest, simplest way to do what you say, and i think it would work. Good luck with it dude.

Comment

Why dont you try going to tire shops and asking for some of the old tires they have. The way I understand it they throw out a whole bunch of unroadworthy tires, so get some of these crappers and put them on some crappy rims and just put them on temporary if you think youre going to give in to your temptation or if youre going out for the sole purpose of your temptation.

Comment

Something even crazier.....

Spraying water causes water to stick to the track/tires causing perhaps a more slick condition. Why not use gas instead of liquid? designengineering.com has a carbon dioxide gas intercooler sprayer that might work in your wheel wells spraying on your tires. Would look be even crazier if you use their purge kits!

Illogical? Probably!

Comment

Originally posted by ZoltecRules
                                Something even crazier.....

Spraying water causes water to stick to the track/tires causing perhaps a more slick condition. Why not use gas instead of liquid? designengineering.com has a carbon dioxide gas intercooler sprayer that might work in your wheel wells spraying on your tires. Would look be even crazier if you use their purge kits!

Illogical? Probably!
                                CO2 would be an excellent setup, even a 20oz tank from say a paintball gun could be hooked up to a simple valve over each tire. When CO2 depressurizes, just like any gas, it gets extremely cold, much colder than water, and in fact it creates a cloud of condensation, so you still do get some water on your tire each spray! A gas also takes out the problem of sloshing water, it also is lighter, and CO2 is very cheap and sometimes free depending on who you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X