best engine switch for Ae86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best engine switch for Ae86

I am trying to buy this hachi from this guy, and his engine is seized from some strange problem with his oil. i am thinking about getting it, and either rebuilding the engine, or doing a swap for a 20v. In the oppinion of the guys who have done this before, what would be a good decision on the engine? Also, would it be better to install it yourself, or have a company put it in?

Either a bluetop, a high comp redtop, or a redtop bottom end with a big port bluetop head will be the easiest to install as they are literally plug and play applications (you will have to use the redtop ECU if you go straight redtop though). If you are mechanically inclined and you've worked on cars before, the swap is easy.

With a 20V, you are looking at either modifying the firewall, get a standalone DLI, or a front mount distributor, with the last 2 being considerably expensive. You'll also need to look into a water line kit, wiring harness modifications, and possibly a standalone ECU.

You can drop a 4agze it as well, but there are some wiring harness mods that need to be done, and you WILL need the AGZE ECU. You will also have to have intercooler piping custom built in order to reloacte the intercooler.

Check out the tech section on Club4AG if you have any other engine questions/issues.

Byron

Comment

cool, thanks for the info

Comment

engine choice id say is your preference in driving. if you want an all around daily driver with a bit more kick a 4AGZE would be pretty good plus you can still surprise a few honda boys every now and then. 20v IMO is a track engine. i love the sound of ITBs roaring but on the streets its pretty much a regular car until you kick it in higher rpms. its just the classic case of naturally aspirated vs forced induction. and yeah club4ag has alot of info on that stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X