Car will not pass 3000RPM???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car will not pass 3000RPM???

Ok so I found a 93' 240 coupe for sale at a dealer. ($2000) I drove it and it seemed a little sluggish. Then I noticed it wouldn't go past 3000 RPM. In third gear I was only able to take it to 45mph. Then when I downshifted to second it wouldn't go past 3000RPM. I kept going from second to third and back and then it wouldn't go faster than 25MPH. The car has 207,000 miles but I don't here any engine noise or valve noise. There is a slight clicking noise; maybe the timing chain? The engine is quiet and shifts properly. What's going on???

Clicking inside the car or inside the engine bay.. Might wanna check the timing, spark plugs, or the TPS... a motor with that many miles u might wanna check all the seals also if nothing has been changed.

Comment

The guy said he was gonna check what's wrong and to call him tomorrow. What do you guys think this car is worth. I mean I have to drive this thing. No money for a swap yet. I have $4,100

Comment

how much are you paying for the car, whats the body condition like. Any rust. Hows the frame, what wheels is it sitting on? hows the interior. Does the ac work does the heater work? it really varies.

Comment

All that works. The only rust is on the shock towers under the hood next to the fenders (both sides). Stock 15in. alloys. I don't think its worth 2G's but they are hard to find. Interior is good. Under carriage is clean.

Comment

$2000 for a car with more than 200,000 miles, rust, and it runs like butt? I wouldn't pay more than 1500 for that car, regardless of interior or what the guy claims is wrong with it. Remember, you'll need to add the cost of a new engine sooner than later.

Use the fact that its screwed-up to talk him down.
            Last edited by Whisky; 01-14-2005, 11:23 PM.

Comment

you can find a better 240 for two thousand for sure, the engine swaps is gonna be mandatory in a few with that car.

Comment

seriously, thats a lot of miles and if there is an issue with timing chain there could be some valve damage already. don't pay more than 1500

Comment

sounds silly but did you check the spark plug wires to see if there in the right spots...

Comment

keep looking for a different coupe,it took me 8 months to find my 89 coupe in good condition.just keep looking,dont settle for something if there are many issues,like above 200,000 miles,rust,and engine problems.just keep looking dont settle because u really want one,or are just sick of looking.

Comment

Originally posted by new_to_drift
                      just keep looking dont settle because u really want one,or are just sick of looking.
                      damn right dont settle took me a while to get my miata but i got it for 1000 bucks in good condition with 108k miles on it.

Comment

hey Aiki, youre in the area, contact me if you want a swap, I can help you out. Just did mine, youre welcome to come check it out if your interested in getting one done

Comment

you dont need a swap. i tihnk its your knock sensor, that happens on other engines and they cant go past 3000 and its sluggush. i dont know if you have any automotive expirience, so looka round for something wrong and fix it, or take it to a mechanic and see what the ecu reads and look up that number in the fsm and fix it.

good luck.

Comment

The guy fixed it. He put new wires, spark plugs, and changed the cat. I guess it was clogged maybe. Runs great now. So I bought it. F$^% it!! I'm down to $2100 now. The Cup of Noodles diet has been re-established!!! Just like the good-ol GSR/civic swap days....(sigh)......

Comment

never mind about my post then. der!

Comment

Working...
                              X