Gauge Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge Questions

i was looking around for gauges and i noticed that most boost gauges are mechanical, why is this?

also, how are autometer gauges? i am on a joke of a budget and cant afford greddy or defi etc. Has anyone had any problems with them or good expiriences?

thanks

Mechnical boost gauges work just fine. I've had both and I trust them more than I do fancy electric ones. We used to get cars in the shop all the time with boost issues, and the first thing we did was put a tap in a vacuum line and throw a mechanical gauge on to rule out the fancy gauge. Mechanical boost gauges are cheaper and simpler than the electric peak hold and warning gauges, but they perform basically the same function.

With regard to Autometer... I used to be a big hater, but the more I used them the less I hated them. They aren't the best gauges available, but for the money they are hard to beat.

If you have a turbo and you don't have a real (not stock) boost gauge, you should be ashamed of yourself. The stock boost gauges lie.

If you drive a 240sx, I would strongly suggest an oil pressure gauge since the car does not have one stock. I would also add oil temp and water temp.

Comment

ya, i am definantly getting a water temp gauge, and i am not boosting yet, so thats why i dont have a gauge. i am going to get oil temp/presssure when i get an oil cooler a little later down thre line.
      thanks

Comment

Be careful when running mechanical oil gauges (whether pressure or temp), especially if you plan on tracking your car.

Most competitive tracks will not allow you to run your car with searing hot oil running through the firewall and into the cabin.

This also applies to water temp/pressure.

Comment

i am getting an electric water temp gauge but a manual boost.

thanks for looking out

Comment

I have autometer gauges right now because of budget problems too. I have the water temp and oil pressure gauge. Its ALOT better than nothing. I'm a budget car guy. I feel your pain...
            -Jeff

Comment

i am going to guy with autometer, i just wanted to make shure first.

you got a wedding to save up for though, dont feel bad. atleast she's not making you sell the miata and buy a minivan. (yet!!!)

Comment

Sh*t. A mini van will be to put tires,a jack and pull my car with bro
                So Not yet. I have to be a top finisher in an amateur drift competition. And have a super charger and alot of other stuff before I really need the family ride..... Peace and ball grease. I'm leaving work..
                -Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X