sr20det legality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sr20det legality?

This question is posed to people in new mexico and oregon who live in areas that do not require smog tests: If you had a 240sx with a sr20det in it and while driving normally through an area that did require smog you were pulled over by the cops because of a loud exaust or the sound of a bov could they open your hood and find the sr20 and report it, or do they have to let you go when they find out you live in an area that does not require smog? And is the sr20det illegal in the us for street use or is it only illegal in smog areas?

It IS illegal, not because the state doesn't have smog but because it is not a DOT (department of transportation) Approved motor. It was never sold in the US so it is a federal thing, meaning in every state, if caught with an illegal motor aka swapped jdm, then that is most likely called for an impound of the vehicle.

Comment

that about sums it up, but if you live in an area that doesn't require inspections for emmisions than you have a much better chance of getting away with it. also very few states train their police to recognize a swapped motor. but i know for a fact that california does.

Comment

god, why is California so anal about car mods, all i hear is how they check your exhaust for loudness, and if your cars too low, and write all sorts of tickets. All i have to say to the LAPD is calm the hell down.

Comment

If you have out of state plates and you get pulled over for something thats illegal where you are, but not illegal where you are from, you are still required to conform to the laws of the state in which you are driving. Sometimes the cop will be cool, but if he sees you again, he'll pop you for it. Most states have laws that require you to get a driver's license and register your car if you are moving to the state and have been there for more than 5 or 10 days. Thats why you can't just throw in an SR and get your car registered in Texas, but drive it every day in California. You'll get stopped and cited eventually, its just a matter of time.

Comment

see if theres any kind of "exotic exemption" I know theres one in Ohio

Comment

I dont want to sound ignorrant but please use SEARCH! HOW MANY TIMES WILL THEY HAVE TO PONDER BOUT THIS! The SR20DET is in now way, shape, or form legal on USA streets. It doesnt matter the state, or the town, its not legal period. As for smog, you obviously see many people have the SR20DET but thats cause they lucky the cops don't know.

Comment

hey nismo sigma, you are ignorant, because the reality is that people are going to ask the same exact questions that 8 million other people asked already. In fact I have already read posts covering the legality of the sr20, I just forgot what the awnser was . Since I have seen you flame others before you obviously feel very strongly about the whole "questions that have been asked 8 billion times before" thing, and since your activities on this forum are a prime example of the definition of my username, I propose to you,in all seriousness, the way to happiness: 1. Leave drifting.com and take all of its users that have a problem with the questions thing with you. 2. Learn(if you dont already know) html, xml, or what ever you need to start your own forum and write a script or whatever it is called so that when a new user is posting a question the site will compare the question against a pre-defined(by you) list of questions that have been asked 8 trillion times before and if a match is found then the site will: popup a window informing the poster that a pre-existing post may cover the question, and then auto direct the browser in a new window to the post, then the info window will ask the user if this post awnsered the question, and have a yes and a no button at the bottom,
                if the poster clicks yes then his/her question will not be posted, but if the user clicks no then the question will be posted. and in case the user clicked no and posted a repeat the site would then email you and those appointed by you the names of the new and old post so that you can compare and see if they are truly different. Sure that would be a lot of posts to read through but then at least you would actualy have control over posts.

Comment

i live in bend oregon, smack dab in the middle. i had an sr20 s13 a while back and never knew it was illegal. then why do they allow them to be imported? why do they allow shops to advertise swaps? people can import skylines and ive seen s15 at shows . they allow 32 customs with superchargers in texas, tell me emissions from that are better. im now driving a tdi jetta with a european spec 2 liter turbo diesle chiped and exaust. i bet that would be impounded in cali in a heart beat

Comment

They are supposed to, legally, say that is for OFF-ROAD USE ONLY, it's a loop-hole that pretty much every shop goes by.

Comment

oh and for the s15 and skylines you talk about...

they still arent legal to drive.

Either way, its mostly for show/events. People are allowed to import these motors, again, for off-road use only. The only way you can LEGALLY import these, is to do what Motorex did. Fix 3 skylines to meet DOT standards, and do crash tests, but most people aren't rich enough to bring 3 s15s fix it to DOT standards and get it crash tested to be able to legally import it.

If you're scared of getting caught, you can get a car that is 25years or older and do a swap since they are not required to do anymore emission testing as such to register the car.
                      It's like the 66stangs, people fix up the motors because they don't have to bring it in to emissions or anything for tests, and most cops look away from those cars, however loud they maybe, since they don't require smog, they don't really care, its an old car, you had to have put quite amount of money to make it run like how it is.

Comment

In case anyone is Canadian and is wondering about the legality here:

NO, the SR20DET is NOT legal in any way, shape or form on Canadian soil. It is not MTO/DOT/etc. approved. It will not pass emissions.

This is why I avoid the MTO like the plague. I suggest you do the same.

Comment

Hey insane, listen to what nismo is saying. You just said yourself that you had read threads about the sr and its legality before and just forgot the answer. Posting all these different threads about the same topic is just a waste of space. You saying that you have seen his posts about the search button and that you had seen threads about it before just makes you look like a lazy *Censored**Censored**Censored*. And did you ever think, that maybe someone from a forum a while back got tired of people posting the same threads over and over, so they learned html and made their own with a freaking search button?? So quit being so lazy and use it.

- peace

Comment

Originally posted by insane
                            hey nismo sigma, you are ignorant, because the reality is that people are going to ask the same exact questions that 8 million other people asked already. In fact I have already read posts covering the legality of the sr20, I just forgot what the awnser was . Since I have seen you flame others before you obviously feel very strongly about the whole "questions that have been asked 8 billion times before" thing, and since your activities on this forum are a prime example of the definition of my username, I propose to you,in all seriousness, the way to happiness: 1. Leave drifting.com and take all of its users that have a problem with the questions thing with you. 2. Learn(if you dont already know) html, xml, or what ever you need to start your own forum and write a script or whatever it is called so that when a new user is posting a question the site will compare the question against a pre-defined(by you) list of questions that have been asked 8 trillion times before and if a match is found then the site will: popup a window informing the poster that a pre-existing post may cover the question, and then auto direct the browser in a new window to the post, then the info window will ask the user if this post awnsered the question, and have a yes and a no button at the bottom,
                            if the poster clicks yes then his/her question will not be posted, but if the user clicks no then the question will be posted. and in case the user clicked no and posted a repeat the site would then email you and those appointed by you the names of the new and old post so that you can compare and see if they are truly different. Sure that would be a lot of posts to read through but then at least you would actualy have control over posts.
                            wow man umm ya you are umm what is the word im looking for oh ya a poser. thanks for wasting my time, i want the 15seconds of my life i wasted on this thread back. if you know the answer than why make a post for this ? can we anyone say loser ?

Comment

how the hell do you forget the answer, umm yes or no, crap i forgot.
                              and skylines are legal to drive on the street through motorex because they fix em to meet dot standards.

Comment

Working...
                              X