1990 240SX Drifting Suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 240SX Drifting Suspension?

I was looking through suspention for a 240 1990 and i was wondering what is the best for drifting there are a few of these i did'nt know alot about and i would like your impressions on them ...

KYB GR-2 shocks ?

HB3035-HB3036 struts front, HU2832 rear , 1 inch drop?

JIC coilover set?

CUSCO coilover set ?
    or
    Tein HR coilover set ?

Which of these would offer a better handling while drifting ?

none of the above, spl kts coilovers, 1099, 8/6 springrate or 9/7 can never remember. soo hot, amazing price, nice and beefy, huge advocate

splparts.com

Comment

thanks great site ...

Comment

Theres no real answer to that, its all driver preference. Read some reviews on them, see which people generally seem to like and if they can say why.

theres no specific company or part for "Drifting"

Comment

How bout Tein HE's or the New tein super Drift master coilovers. I just recently purchased some brand new He's for my car and they are badass. I love them. Also a could setup are the JIC FLTA-2's.

Comment

Originally posted by SidewaysGts
            Theres no real answer to that, its all driver preference. Read some reviews on them, see which people generally seem to like and if they can say why.

theres no specific company or part for "Drifting"
            I beg to differ. We are a company specializing in only drifting parts and we are the largest distributor of Kei Office in the US. Kei Office is definitely a company specializing in "drifting" suspension.
            Last edited by DriftFactory; 02-07-2005, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo_blitz21
              How bout Tein HE's or the New tein super Drift master coilovers. I just recently purchased some brand new He's for my car and they are badass. I love them. Also a could setup are the JIC FLTA-2's.
              I agree with you man, HE's are nice. Also Speedwise, are you using your 240 for a daily driver? Might be looking for something softer, the HR's are good. I have HR's on my s13.

Comment

It's all on driver preferance, and there are drift-specific Parts. I just isntalled my Megan Racing Coilovers and they are...well, the best I've driven on so far. That's with testing out the Tein HE's, JIC, and Apex-i...

Cheap as hell too. Check out www.undergroundmotorsports.com
                Great price and well worth it.

Comment

And what pray tell makes them "Drift specific" coilovers, how do they differ from "Grip" coilovers?

added:

I beg to differ. We are a company specializing in only drifting parts and we are the largest distributor of Kei Office in the US. Kei Office is defiantly a company specializing in "drifting" suspension.
                  Once i again i stick to the what makes it "drift specific" how do they differ from any other coilover? are they specificly reinforced for strength when going sideways? Do they damper more effectively then "Grip" styled coilovers while sliding around?

you may MARKET your parts specificly for drifting- but that doesnt mean theyre designed specificly for drifting- unless of course there IS indeed something that makes them specialy suited for better performance while sliding compared to normal coilovers.
                  Last edited by SidewaysGts; 02-07-2005, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Actually, they are specifically designed for drift. Not all mind you, but some. The GX, TD-II, and the D1 Spec are designed for drift. The mounts and pistons are beefier in order to handle the stress of sliding. The spring rates and damping rates are also specifically designed for drifting. As would be expected from the Drift King’s company, even the non drift specific coilovers are very capable in a drift context. The XT’s and XT Alphas are made to be “do it all” coils but they too can be tuned for drift.

Comment

I'll have to agree with Drift Factory...

When they say drifting they're refering to the type of wear, tear and beating that only drifting will do. The specifications required for drifting are different than that of road racing.

The way they work are the same, but you're not going to see the same lateral forces in road racing that you will in drifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Craftsman
                        I'll have to agree with Drift Factory...

When they say drifting they're refering to the type of wear, tear and beating that only drifting will do. The specifications required for drifting are different than that of road racing.

The way they work are the same, but you're not going to see the same lateral forces in road racing that you will in drifting.
                        I'm going to disagree with you there. The lateral loads found in road racing often far exceed those of drifting. Once a tire has lost traction completely its ability to grip is reduced. I would also ask that people please not express this as coefficient of friction, as they are using engineering terms out of context. There are many types of friction, and more than one found in a rolling, sliding tire. In any case, the loads are typically less than those found in road racing.

The only thing that I have found to be different in so-called "drift" coilovers is the adjustment range of the dampers, particularly in the rear. The valving is slightly different than in an otherwise "not drift specific" damper, but its fair to say that any adjustable (even non damper adjustable) coilover is driftable.

So with regard to the guy's question, my answer would be to buy something rebuildable. Buy quality, not a "name" and don't be a ricer and pay more just because something says "drift" on it. For example, the Tein coilovers are easy to get, easy to have rebuilt, and they have a large US presence. JIC is similar also, but the FLT-A2s are only worth the cash if you can afford them (have to factor opportunity cost). Buy whatever you can afford, and don't forget that you absolutely want adjustable pillow ball mounts.

Comment

I do agree with you to a point. Road racing does put higher lateral loads on a suspension. But load is not what shreds a suspension. The reason drift suspension must be stronger than those used for road race applications is the way that they are receiving torque. In a road race, suspension is pulled forwards, backwards, and left to right. In drifting the suspension undergoes these loads and everything in between in rapid order. The torque goes from front left, to rear right, to front right and back again in as little as a few seconds. That is the reason that a drift set up has to be stronger. Also, let’s not forget that in a road race the suspension impacts are not coming from the side the same way they are in drifting. For example, if you run over a speed bump at 20 not much is going to happen. But if you run over a speed bump at 20 while sliding sideways…… well, you get the idea.

Comment

Who the crap is drifting over speed bumps?

If so called "drift" specific parts were stronger then normal parts- i garuntee you theyd be using them in road racing suspensions as well- which in turn would not make then drift specific really.

Bottom line: "Drift" or "grip" specific, they all do the same thing. "Drift" specific parts are just trying to market the people who do just that- drift. They are no better or worse at adjusting the ride height, resisting the road bumps, and dampening the shock compared to one another.

I could care less about the spring rate/damper rate bs, thats just personal preference. They still do the same thing.

And is torque even the right word? Torque refers to the rotational force something is exhibiting, suspensions compress and decompress.

Comment

The speed bump was an example. These conditions do exist on tracks used for drifting. Anyone who had to deal with "the dip" at the August drivers search can vouch for this.

Comment

Working...
                              X