ADVAN Tires, Illegal in the U.S.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADVAN Tires, Illegal in the U.S.?

I know that here in canada ADVAN tires arent legal , is it the same in the states ? and what makes them illegal ? is it the thread pattern or ???

To my understanding they simply haven't been approved under the safety standards here (Canada). Government's kinda dumb that way. Can't have it if it doesn't meet Canadian safety standards, regardless if the country the product's coming from has even higher standards.

B-Wurm

Comment

Im not sure if it is a safty thing, but i know its pretty hard to find them here. The only place i have seen them is on Online rally supply sites. You could couuld get away with them with out a problem. Cops do not know anything about tires, so if you get pulled over, they arn't going to look at them and say "o, look, advans, Ticket!" I wold try it.

Comment

Don't waste your time worrying about it! Just buy a set of Falkens. There an all around better tire anyway and you won't have to trade in your first born to own a set.

Comment

I already knew most cops dont know this but what if you get into an accident you are going to get into lots of *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* nah ? because my friend just ordered some rims and they come with a 90% new set of advan tires and he doesn't want to change perfectly good tires...

Comment

Sorry, Tire Rack now brings them in for the U.S. crowd...
            Check out the Tire Rack website.

Comment

advan is made by yokohama, so they make every tire advan makes

Comment

the only reason advan tires arent legal in the states is because no one has ever had them d.o.t approved its the same reason as airbags on mini trucks if the d.o.t doesnt approve the safety of the tire to their standards its illegal, pretty much the same as drag slicks or full race tires even though its s.f.i approved and all the sanctioning bodies allow them they havent passed d.o.t tests so their gray market and illegal for street use regardless of how much better they are compared to a cheap costco tire or any other budget rubber.

Comment

I just read this in Super Streets coverage of Sema International Auto Salon.

"Yokohama has released its Advan line to the US market with the Neova AD07,S.T., and Sport. The Neova is a dry performing street tire, the S.T. accomodates the SUV market, and the Sport comes in as the flagship of the Advan series with its ultra high-speed capabilities."

So yeah, I would assume since Advan tires are now for sale on the US market, they are without a doubt DOT approved.

Comment

D.O.T approved now? yes! before USA release i doubt they were approved. if they were all approved yoko would sell them all to the U.S. market

Comment

Originally posted by SlidnZC4075
                      I just read this in Super Streets coverage of Sema International Auto Salon.

"Yokohama has released its Advan line to the US market with the Neova AD07,S.T., and Sport. The Neova is a dry performing street tire, the S.T. accomodates the SUV market, and the Sport comes in as the flagship of the Advan series with its ultra high-speed capabilities."

So yeah, I would assume since Advan tires are now for sale on the US market, they are without a doubt DOT approved.
                      I was actually a shop the other day and the guy told me he could get them within a few days. They're here and ready for abuse.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/news_11_2_2004_4.asp
                      Last edited by nightracer; 02-14-2005, 12:31 AM.

Comment

There has always been legal advan's. They come stock on some cars. Some tires are not DOT approved, but there are many other models that are legal.

Comment

Originally posted by TrendLineMotor
                          There has always been legal advan's. They come stock on some cars. Some tires are not DOT approved, but there are many other models that are legal.
                          I second this.. I've been using A032-R when I used to road race...

I used Falken now to drift.

-Al

Comment

Working...
                          X