Welded Differential for 86 RX-7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welded Differential for 86 RX-7?

Would you guys recomend a welded differential. please explain with your choice. I think it would be way cheaper. How ever don't know the negatives that would come with it.
    I have a 86 RX7 Basic model.

its sketchy, its not like a 2way where you can control somewhat on when two whels turn, they are both spining non-mstop, and living on nor cal, you get some rain and that thing would be sketchy in the rain.

i wouldnt do it, but if your really no a budget and dont really care, go for it!

Comment

Though this seems to be a simple and cheap way to get two rear wheels spinning during a power slide, nothing can be better than just buyng a two way lsd

Comment

your best bet is to swap in a GXL rear end and start there. a 2-way will be little much for a novice.

Comment

When my open diff went bad on my 88fc I bought a used gxl lsd off ebay that was welded for drag racing and I had no problem drifting the car.

Comment

welded diffs are cool man.....but you have to be ready for it...remember its locked ALL THE TIME. Its fun and will make you a better driver, but you have to be able to handle it. I agree it might not be for a novice driver but its not so crazy. It might break loose when your not ready for it if you dont know what your doing . i know alot of people that have welded diffs its like everything else just drivers perferance. Its cheap though so if you dont like then get a 1.5 or 2 way. basicly a good way to describe it is a 2 way on crack. Maybe others dont agree with me but thats how i feel about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Czarli
              Would you guys recomend a welded differential. please explain with your choice. I think it would be way cheaper. How ever don't know the negatives that would come with it.
              I have a 86 RX7 Basic model.

I've raced a Toyota MR2, and a '79 Corvette Trans-Am car with locked differentials, and both were excellent. However, for gripping, you had to make sure you were on the throttle, or the car wanted to understeer like a pig. A locked diff will want to make the car understeer when it is gripping. When it is drifting, it won't be any different than a 2-way LSD.

I'd do it, but just BE CAREFUL on turn in. Make sure you don't understeer. On the road, always have the hand-brake in the back of your mind, just in case it starts to understeer.

Comment

just get an LSD or out a TII or GXL. You can always make adjustments to those. At the shop I did a custom shim job on my TII, it feels just like a welded diff, but its not.
                if you want I can build you one for $250, just email me if you are interested

Comment

You might as well try a welded diff, you never know you might like it. If you dont just buy a 2 way. Just be careful.

Comment

man, i think it's a baaad idea. yea, it's cheap and easy, but if that thing lets go, you're into some serious damage and even injury. I've heard of some nasty stories in drag racing and street driving of a welded diff letting loose. But, do what you want, i just think you'd be better off with a used TII rear end, it's probably gonna be enough lsd for you. just my 2 cents.

Comment

Nothin wrong with a welded diff. I know alot of AWESOME drifters that use it. It's a ghetto LSD My S13 has one, although I didn't get to drive it yet. The former owner says it takes a little getting used to, but it works out nice on the drift course. Be prepared to go through alot of tires though

It's really no different than a posi rear end either.

Comment

Originally posted by AE86_drift
                        It's really no different than a posi rear end either.

Yeah, thats why they are illegal in most forms of competition

Comment

Dont be so cheap that you endanger yourself and everyone else out on the road.. the point of a diff (even an open one) is so that when the car turns, the outside wheel can travel faster than the inside (cause it goes farther in the same amt of time). Otherwise, both rear wheels will want to keep going straight when turning, causing a lot of understeer until one wheel (inside in most cases) starts slipping. This is the only way you could turn with a welded diff, with one of the tires slipping (or both), meaning less rear traction, and thus a higher tendancy to oversteer. This can be great for the track, but if your also using it on public roads, espec. if you arent used to it, even more so if its wet/snowy/slippery, its just plain dangerous... the car wants to understeer off the road, and once you do get it turning, it now wants to oversteer. A lot less predictable and linear, and a lot more twitchy. It also causes much more tire wear (cause one tire is almost always slipping), and more stress on the components. For a track car, ok, but if your driving on public streets, dont be dumb about it, especially when cheap alternatives (pull a TII GXL, or GTU diff from a junkyard) exist.

Comment

Working...
                          X