Grinding the gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WanganEfini
    youR clutches are slippinG. therE are two symptomS. thE fluid keeps moving the same direction as the clutches between them and the clutches have to spin faster to force the fluid outwards so they can graB. thE other is plain and simplE. thE clutches are just burnT.
    iN any of these cases they should be replaceD. iF you do get them replaced and would like to get some longevity out of theM. unlesS you do the work yourself, some way or another, get the person doing the job to get Grade 80 to 100 sandpaper, (96 is the best to use, but anything between is just as good). sanD the mating faces of the steel clutches outwards, from the center, all the way around the clutch only enough to take the glaze off of theM, noT to the point where you can see markS. DO NOT FOLLOW THE CLUTCH AND SAND ONE BIG CIRCLE ON IT YOU'LL JUST END UP WITH THE SAME PROBLEM YOU STARTED WITH. thiS way when it comes time to shift, the fluid between the clutches will move outwards away from between the clutches in the direction that was sandeD. yoU don't need to have the clutches sanded thougH. thiS is just a trick I learned from a veteraN.
    Thanks for the info much appreaciated- just to be sure though the problem you described can be a single gear specific problem? It ONLY does it when upshifting into 3rd, all other shifts are perfectly normal

Comment

Of course your downshift to first is crunchy at higher speeds, you don't have a synchro into first.

Comment

If I remember correctly, you have two synchros: a lower one for 2nd and 4th and an upper one for 3rd and 5th.

There's no 1st or Reverse synchro.

And yeah it definately is your synchros, they're probably shot.

I have the same problem on my SR, which sucks for me. It's my lower one, scratches if I push her revs too high and shift into 2nd or 4th. I either have to ship a lone SR tranny, or rebuild using KA internals and the SR bellhousing.

Expensive no matter what.

Comment

Probably a throw out bering, or a pilot bushing issue. No pilot bushing would cause those symptoms

Comment

Working...
          X