Is Turbo'ed KA24 legal in California?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Turbo'ed KA24 legal in California?

Yes, I've searched, wasn't able to find the answer..

anyhow, is the turbo'ed ka24 legal in california?

no they are nt legal.

even if you have th greddy kit, its still illegal.

Comment

actually, if the kit has a CARB # then it should be legal. Of course, you would also need street legal exaust system, computer, suspension, etc. for it to be actually street legal.

Comment

Why is it illegal? Will it fail the CARB inspection? The visual? The smog test?
        If you got passed the visual and it passed the smog you should be ok right?
        As long as you dont have a stand alone engine management. The OBDII has to be funtionable.
        What do I know though. I am from NY
        my .02
        -Jeff

Comment

My understanding of the GReddy kit is that it is legal, but not if you use the optional front mount intercooler. It also makes very little power for the money.

California Air Resources Board (CARB) is the authority responsible for certifying various aftermarket components as legal or illegal (for emissions purposes, that is). The smog laws are designed such that a given vehicle of a given age, weight and engine size should emit no more than X amount of CO2, NOX, solid particulate, etc. Unfortunately CARB is a nasty racket. Whats the difference between the CARB approved K&N filter and the "49 state legal"? About $100. Nothing more, they are the same filter. CARB makes some poor excuse about "cold start PCV emissions" from open-element filters, but thats just BS. All they want is for you to jump thru their hoops and, more importantly, pay them money to get your parts a CARB EO number.

Basically, cat-back exhaust is smog legal because it is after the cat, so it has no emissions equipment anyway (with the possible exception of a case where the change in flow causes your car to pollute more). Anything between the engine and the cat must have CARB approval, so unless a turbo kit has a CARB exception, its illegal. Intake-side parts also must have a CARB exception. Its all a money game, and most KA turbo kit manufacturers either don;t have the cash to get their kits approved, or don't think they will ever make a profit if they spend the money to do it.

I'm curious to know the laws regarding what entitles a police officer to open your hood and inspect your engine bay. I don't know if they need probable cause, or even what would constitute probable cause for an emissions equipment check (rather than a contraband search). Just remember, if he asks to look in your car, tell him NO. Make him work for it, in most cases they will just leave you alone, its not worth the hassle.

Comment

Yes, its the visual you fail, even if your tailpipe emissions are within the parameters. I failed once because I had a non-approved K&N filter. What a crock.

Comment

the greddy kit was carb PENDING, and it failed, so no, it will not pass smog, it is illegal in california.

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                the greddy kit was carb PENDING, and it failed, so no, it will not pass smog, it is illegal in california.
                I didn't know that, thats interesting. I wonder why it failed, its not like it makes much power anyway.

Comment

i dont know why either.

the only reason to get that kit would be for somg legalaity (is that a word?), 370 injectors, 2.5 inch dp, no blow off valve, no intercooler, its really overpriced in my opinion.

you could peice an amazing kit together for 3500, much better than that one.

Comment

do any of you guys have your ka turbo'ed? should I even worry about this?

if the ka-t is illegal might as well just get an sr right?

Comment

this is one of the major reasons i'm moving soon. i hate the smog laws here. i love cali but if i cant hav my sr20 or ca18 i'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by lagcisco
                        do any of you guys have your ka turbo'ed? should I even worry about this?

if the ka-t is illegal might as well just get an sr right?

The SR20DET is technically illegal in the United States. Yeah, I know people use them in their cars, and often they don't get caught with them, but they aren't DOT approved engines. The government/police is catching on to them now, so they know what to look for when they pop your hood.It sure would be a shame to put all that money into your beloved car for it to spend the rest of its days in an impound lot. By all means correct me if I'm wrong on this information. I'm not trying to turn this into a debate on SR20s.

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                          It still IS pending..it didn't fail yet they are still waiting to hear from C.A.R.B.

I just spoke to a Rep from Greddy today, but since it hasn't been approved yet then as of now its illegal until they hear otherwise from C.A.R.B.

I asked when they will be expecting a response and all they could tell me was hopefully sometime this year.

Comment

oh, i thought it testred and didnt pass or something. its sooo expensice though for what you get, you really are just paying for the carb thingy i tihnk.

Comment

of course thats what your paying for, I mean it costs money to get C.A.R.B approval right?

Besides..when you think about it in the long run its way cheaper to pay extra for the street legal kit.

Sure you could get a non-legal kit for half the price or even less but time after time of paying off some shady smog guy so you can pass is gonna add up man.

I guess if the car isn't your daily driver and is a track only car then it doesn't really matter, but the majority of the people who buy the Greddy kit are people who still drive their cars just about everyday.

Im planning on getting this kit in the near future...by the time Im ready for the kit hopefully Greddy will hear something from C.A.R.B. and we'll know if it's legal or not..but if I had to put my money on it Im pretty sure Greddy will pull it off.

Comment

Working...
                              X