No announcement yet.

RWD Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you should learn how to spell CONVERSION right before you attempt, otherwise it might not come out right..

Comment

Originally posted by ZoltecRules
      ...they had a R32 GT-R Skyline with somesort of transmission that you could switch from RWD to AWD at the flick of a switch.
      Most 4X4s have switchable 4WD like that, it might be something as simple as a Nissan Patrol gearbox (some Patrols came with the RD28 and possibly the RB30E). It could also just be an electronically adjustable centre diff. Still sounds interesting though.

Comment

I've already started construction on a Rotary powered RWD CRX. Got my donor car for $600 in good mechanical condition. Once I am done I will post pics and write-up galore!!

RWD integra was done by Blake Fuller and crew at Braille Auto (check out their mega light weight batterey at www.brailleauto.com). Floorpan was virtually unmodified, but the rear end had to be cut up to accept the differential.

In a RWD convo, my advice is this:
        -Buy a complete donor car. A smashed pickup truck or S13 will be much better use of your money that assembling a RWD drivetrain part by part.
        -Use a short motor unless you want to make your own firewall. Rotaries and H4 Subaru engines are considerably shorter than inline 4's (and 6's) and will fit into a FWD engine bay much easier than a longer engine.
        -Use a live-axle setup. A poorly designed rear suspension can easily be bested by a simple live-axle solid rear end, plus poorly designed IRS's can cause jacking and even make the car roll over (pronounced "corvair").
        -Either find a wiring master or stick with Carbs. With carbs, you mount the motor, plug in the gas, hook up tha battery and go. You can also most likely utilize the destination car's body harness as well.
        -Choose your donor and destination cars carefully. Aviod distributorless ignition on the donor (no reason to make it more complex than need be), and make sure that the destination car has enough desirable traits to warrant the work (light weight, suspension design, balance, comfort, styling, etc)

Good luck with the conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by mranlet
          -Use a live-axle setup. A poorly designed rear suspension can easily be bested by a simple live-axle solid rear end, plus poorly designed IRS's can cause jacking and even make the car roll over (pronounced "corvair").
          Good luck with the conversion!
          Speaking of corvair, can anyone think of how a rear engine, front drive setup (called a RF?) would respond to a drift style driving?

Comment

I know it's been awhile but I finally found that article I was looking for. It was in the March issue of Modified and the car is a R32 Skyline with a 5-speed transmission with ATTESA-ETS (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All). Is this something factory in the Skyline? Can you possibly adapt that to an SR20DET, RB25DET, (insert Nissan engine here)?

Comment

ATTESSA is the stock AWD system used in the Skyline GT-R, some Cefiros, and several other cars. I know that there's been at least these engines factory-fitted to it: RB20, RB26 (thus all other RB's fit), VH45DE, possibly the VQ35DE. I think there's at least one aftermarket VQ linked up to an ATTESSA tranny, not sure though. The S15's SR20DET bolts up to the same transmission as the VQ35DE, so it's possible you could get it to work with an AWD RB tranny if it's been done with the VQ. I haven't heard of much other than the RB fitted to it though. I think the AWD V35 Skyline and Murano use a form of ATTESSA, I'm not sure if it's a similar transmission to the R32/R33 5-speed or the R34 6-speed or a whole new setup based on the S15/Z33 6-speed.

Comment

Well for who ever says it would cost more than a hundred grand that is impossible ! i know some people with swaps like S2000Powered civic hatch which he estimated the fabrication cost at just under 25k's(that civic was shown in SCP5) , then there is a SR powered RSX located in novascotia with a swap price of 11000$ so 100000$ is just wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by 240LoVeR
                  thanx sideways for giving an actual answer not just flaming, bc obiously i know it probs wont happen bc i said "its an idea of mine well see if it ever gets off the ground)

but other wise yea im willing it bet it will never happen but it would be cool
                  u sound like you are in HS

Comment

Originally posted by phantasm
                    Bluebird is more like an Altima.

There seems to be a trend starting in Japan with converting FWD to RWD cars. There have been a few Civics with RWD SR20DETs seen around. (seems like a waste of an SR to me) It isn't an entirely new idea, but one with merit.
                    Just because u may have seen a few one off cars doesn't make it a new trend or the popular thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by NiteKids
                      Just because u may have seen a few one off cars doesn't make it a new trend or the popular thing to do.
                      The depth of your post is indicative of just why you were so well received at zilvia.net.

Comment

The depth of your post is indicative of just why you were so well received at zilvia.net.

Well he's right, just because it was in a magazine a couple of times or a pic was posted online a couple of rwd converted cars doesn't mean it's a trend, and I very much doubt something that requires as much work and money as a fwd to rwd conversion will ever become 'trendy'. Plus the only civics I've seen with SR's are FWD.

Comment

Crimony, guys, I wasn't saying that EVERY Civic is getting the RWD conversion. I was merely pointing out that there have been SEVERAL seen of late as opposed to NONE. Geesh....you need to get out more!

Comment

Crimony, guys, I wasn't saying that EVERY Civic is getting the RWD conversion. I was merely pointing out that there have been SEVERAL seen of late as opposed to NONE. Geesh....you need to get out more!
                            You need to say what you mean, you posted that "there seems to be a new trend" which means ALOT of them. I've only seen like 2 or 3, I'm sure there are more but if they were becoming a trend they would be every where.

Comment

FWD to RWD

Originally posted by 240LoVeR
                              alright....i know people will just say "search" but i did and didnt find anything.

ok first off what is needed to do a FWD-RWD convertion (its an idea of mine well see if it ever gets off the ground)

and then if i did that i would need/want to to a auto to manual swap

and what drivetrain would you guys say would fit/work best under a 90 maxima....i know the japanese version was rwd but of coarse we got jipped outa that i was thinking maybe a 300zx.....and of coarse a rb would be sweet but thats just a little bit pricy!

I tell you one thing. The esiest way to make rwd from fwd car is to buying an rwd car, may be crashed but best will be if only the body would be damagade, you will need a someon who make you a new propeler shaft and....i dont know how this is in elnglish, im from europe....those rods from diferential which they going to the whels, you know what i mean, this is easy if you have some time and money(dont need to much anyway ). Like that you can make rwd from any car, but You must remember that you wont fit 6 liter v12 into smal, compact car, but v8 should fit in most cars. Im thinking to make something like that for myself using a bmw parts, they cheper here in europe and they engines are one of the best in its class.

Comment

Originally posted by ZoltecRules
                                Speaking of corvair, can anyone think of how a rear engine, front drive setup (called a RF?) would respond to a drift style driving?
                                My family has had 7 corvairs total and that is my new signature LOL damn thats funny

and no they dont roll over

Comment

Working...
                                X