Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install Pics-Tekniq Auto Steering Wheel and Snap Off System

http://www.tekniqauto.com

Today well be looking at how to install the Tekniq Auto Steering Wheel and Snap Off System. Kaz at Tekniq Auto was nice enough to provide me with this kit.
    It should not only provide a great new look for the car's interior, but also serve as a great theft deterrence system since each pattern is unique, and make it easier to get in and out of the car with the roll cage bars being in the way of my legs.

Today's Lab Rat will be none other than this sexy beast you see right here

Here we see the kit components: Suede Steering Wheel, Hub Adapter, Hardware, Horn Button, and Snap Off System

**Before you begin make sure to disconnect your battery ESPECIALLY if you have airbags**

Say good bye to the JDM S15 Steering Wheel(which btw is now for sale in the classifeds section)

First, locate the covers on each side of the factory steering wheel and pop them off with a screwdriver...

There should a 10mm bolt on each side, in some cases you will have a special tamper proof bolt which you need a factory key for.

Remove each of these bolts to losen the airbag.

The airbag should slide right out...do not pull too far or you will break the wire harness!!! Pull it off to the side and bust out your breaker bar and sockets!

There should be a large nut directly behind the airbag unit. In this case it is a 19mm.

Remove the nut and do not lose this as you will be reusing it to mount the hub adapter for the new wheel.

Now heres the tough part. Gather up all your strength.....yes all of it and pull the steering wheel off. This is not as easy as it looks, i had to pull with my whole body weight and wiggle it at the same time. Make sure not to smack yourself in the face.

Here we can see the difference both in size and weight. The Tekniq wheel is slightly smaller and being suede, will provie a nice grip pad and quicker steering response.

This is what it should look like once you have removed the stock wheel...

Line up the new hub making sure that it is centered so that the wheels are straight.(After completing the install you may have to move it around again to get it right after driving the car and realizing that its slightly off center) Once it is sitting on the spline....hit it a few times lightly with a rubber mallet to ensure that it is sitting properly at the base of the shaft.

Now reuse the 19mm nut to tighten down the hub onto the steering shaft. Torque to the appropriate specs. The black wire you see is for the horn and will connect to the snap off adapter later on.

Install the rubber hub cover....

Install the adapter for the snap off system using the supplied bolts and an allen key..again make sure everything is centered and that you have connected the horn wires properly.

This completes the first half of the install....this is what you should have so far...

Take the new steering wheel and install the other half of the snap off system using the supplied bolts. Make sure the keyhole is on the top side.

Heres the back view of the wheel once the snap off system is bolted on.

The snap off system is very easy to use....youve got to retracting pegs on each side that lock the wheel into place in addition to the locking pin. Grab the pegs and pull outwards...

Like so...

Line the wheel up and push it onto the hub as you hear it CLICK into place

Make sure everything sits flush and nothing is loose....

Voila!!! The finished product...

Heres a view without the steering wheel in place.....

Tekniq also provided this Teckademics Horn Button..

With the kit, youll get two keys. In order to take the wheel off you need to unlock the snap off system with the key...

You can take the wheel off and take it with you when you park your car overnight....

After driving the car for a few days i ran into a slight problem.....Being freakishly tall (6'2" to be exact) my knees were hitting the steering wheel any time i would try to heel-toe....so i spent some extra loot and got myself this Sparco 50mm Steering Wheel Spacer....

Since the Tekniq Auto wheel and hubs have their own unique bolt pattern, I had to drill new holes in the sparco spacer.....heres the spacer installed between the wheel and the snap off adapter....

Here is a shot of the complete install without the spacer....

And with the 50mm spacer...as you can see theres alot more room for the legs

Take the car around the block, make sure everything is tight and centered. Its a good idea to check the bolts a few days later after the car has been under different driving conditions to make sure everything is still tight.

**HAPPY DRIFTING**

Comment

Working...
    X