Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help choosing a coil over spring rate

I am NOT asking which is the best springs to buy

I know that it does not matter what type of what ever I have, all that matters is the experience I have which I understand is nothing...

I understand that trying to learn everything about my vehicle is obserd.
    I understand that trying to learn about set up is obserd
    I understand that a pick up truck can never become competitive in drifting
    I understand that I am a noob, and i know absolutly nothing about drifting
    I understand that I will never be as cool as you are....

So
    hopefully, i got all the flames pretty much covered...
    And
    hopefully the readers of this thread will focus on my ACTUAL QUESTION, and not answer, or comment on something completly off track of my question.
    so
    HERE IS MY QUESTION

im building a tiangulated 4 link, coil over rear suspension for my pick up.
    Ive been reading for a few days now, and im not really sure which spring rate to go with...
    my rear end is 1600 lbs, and im not sure which would be the best spring rate for drifting....

ive read the tech on spring rates, which is great, but does not discuss general rule of thumb for choosing spring rates

there really isn't a general benchmark to go off of when it comes to suspension components.....a lot of it has to do with the vehicles overall weight, the weight distribution of the vehicle, what dampers are going to be used and if they are adjustable what range they are adjustable in.......once all of those factors have been determined you're ready to determine what spring rates you want/need to run

this probably doesn't help you all that much but keep in mind there isn't really a forumla ya know.....if you had an S chassis car or an AE86 or something that already has proven setups that you can go off of it would be a completely different story

if you can provide any of the info i listed in the beginning of my post i will be able to better help you decide on what spring rates to run

Late,
    Daniel

Comment

well, so far, the weight of my truck is

FrntLFT......FrntRGT
      940lbs........860lbs

RearLFT.....RearRGT
      762lbs.......800lbs

thats with no driver and half a tank(6.5gl)
      im moving the 37lb optima from the FL to the RL
      and a fuel cell which will go in the bed of the truck at the farthest center rear
      once thats done, im going to start stripping away at the front end, and hopefully get as near of a 50/50 all round as i can get

im prob going to start with this kit
      http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=KeywordSearch

with a spring rate from 130 - 250...
      i guess ill just get these springs to give me an idea of how the dif rates effect my rear end....
      also, are coil over springs pretty much universal where i can install a more popular spring with this set?

Comment

that sounds like a good setup with your weight reduction/transfer ideas......as far as the coilovers are concerned.....does ground control make anything for your truck? i would try giving them a call and see if they could either recommend some spring rates or build you a custom coilover setup......the latter would be your best bet.........i would recommend using a much stiffer spring in the rear than up front........do you know what your stock spring rates are? does TRD make a suspension kit for the car? what are the spring rates on that kit? i could probably recommend some higher spring rates if you were able to tell me the stock rates

Late,
        Daniel

Comment

Working...
        X