RB25DET into S13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB25DET into S13?

im going to purchase a 89 240 and im planning to do a swap.
    im undicided between the s13 sr20det and the skyline rb25det.
    i know that the sr20 drops right in. But aint sure about the rb.
    can someone please tell me if the rb is a perfect fit or will there be some modification need to be done. If its a perfect fit ill just go for the rb.

well i was in the same situation as you a while back, and went with the sr.
    an rb swap is definitely not an impossible option, however, will require more work and custom fabrication than an sr swap. i know the only real fabricating i had to do on my sr swap was to extend the throttle cable bracket out about an inh. i think with the rb you may even need to modify your front cross member. So in short, if you have time and plenty of money do the rb. however if you are on abudget and a schedule, go for the sr. hope that helps a little.

Comment

if you swap an rb it wont really be good for drifting because of the weight distribution you will have to much weight in the front end causing too much understeer. But if you are going to drag race its a different story.

Comment

Contact Chris from Milano Auto.

He is installing another one in his new car.

Comment

hehe if you went dragging RB25 equipped S13s are called supra killers hehe.

Comment

ASK ME 360-981-0918
            i had it...installed it and drifted it

Comment

Originally posted by drift matic
              if you swap an rb it wont really be good for drifting because of the weight distribution you will have to much weight in the front end causing too much understeer. But if you are going to drag race its a different story.
              I'm sorry but No, this is blatantly wrong.

Mark from Slide Squad has a RB25DET swap in his S13 and he has absolutely no problem drifting his car what so ever. In fact, he has mentioned to a few people that it is almost easier to rotate the car around the nose with the RB25. As for the weight issue, it's not nearly the big deal that people make it out to be. The RB25 with the McKinney mount kit weighs ~160lbs more than the stock KA24. Since the McKinney kit moves the engine 2 inches back and 1 inch down from where the stock RB25 mounts would put the engine, this really isn't that big a of a deal as the engine is more centered over the front contact patch.

Check out www.rb25det.org and the 240sxforums for more info about the RB swap.

Comment

cost is the biggest thing in swap. the swap it self will cost a little more and parts will probably also cost more. the handling will probably be a litttle different because of the additional wieght. if you have the money i would do it becuase every one has an SR, although it also depends on how expirenced you are, it would probably be easier to learn to drift with a SR or a KA.

Comment

The SR drops in, as it was stock in the S13 in most countries, but the RB was never a factory S-chassis engine, and thus takes a fair bit more work. As mentioned, there are a few conversion kits you can buy, but it will be costlier and harder than an SR swap. The main decision is, do you need the extra power and torque the RB25DET gives over the SR20DET, and is it worth the extra cost. For most applications the SR20 can give well enough power, the only place I can see an RB swap being worth it is for drag or Wangan use, and even then it makes more sense to go for the RB26DETT (although not in a LHD car, the rearmost turbo collides with the steering). If you just want to be different, fine, but personally I don't think it's worth the money. If you really want to be different, try building a carbed L31T and dropping that in instead. :P

Comment

SCC did a how-to around a year ago:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0309scc_hybrid/

Good FAQ:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t126426.html
                    Last edited by ZoltecRules; 03-01-2005, 06:03 PM.

Comment

If you have the right OEM parts from a SKYLINE in JAPAN an RB will drop right into a S13 chassis, no modifications needed, well maybe cutting the skeleton from the hood but that does not really count.

Max

Comment

Originally posted by illegalgarage
                        If you have the right OEM parts from a SKYLINE in JAPAN an RB will drop right into a S13 chassis, no modifications needed, well maybe cutting the skeleton from the hood but that does not really count.

Max
                        you will still need a drive shaft.

I have done the swap 2 times, once using a clip with cross member, and once using the mckinney kit. GO WITH THE KIT!!

Though I am a bigger fan of the SR, the RB dose make more power but its not really that much more power. with a few mods the SR will pull away from the RB.

Comment

i agree with hollywood, i spent a while stationed in japan when i was in the air force and i owned an r32. the rb, while a very fun powerplant, just didnt give me the satisfaction of an sr. overall, having driven both a few skylines and 180/silvias, id say the sr20 provides more driving pleasure...unless of course you decided to drop an rb26 into your car...then id say thats a whole different story. For me, i didnt do an SR swap to be an individual, for me it was about the fun of tuning and the driving pleasure of the SR20. If you want to be reaal original, well haaha then dont buy a 240 first off. as much as i love them, they arent original. but if you want a fun tuning car that is also fun to operate go for the sr swap. in my opinion, its the more fun of the two. thats just my opinion tho.

Comment

Working...
                          X