rb26dett into my rhd s14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rb26dett into my rhd s14

Im askin alot of people what they think about the swap b4 i go ahead and do it i was also wondering if neone knew the wieght difference between the rb and sr. i was goin to do the whole build thing on my s14 sr but im kinda thinkin bout doin a nice basic rb setup on it for reliability thanks guys

the weight difference is a very big difference from what i have heard.
    the rb26dett is a very heavy engine compared to the sr. If you are going to drift it wouldnt be a very good swap because of the weight in the front you would have a lot of understeer. If i were going to drift with a rb i would pick the rb20 engine.

Comment

Originally posted by drift matic
      the rb26dett is a very heavy engine compared to the sr. If you are going to drift it wouldnt be a very good swap because of the weight in the front you would have a lot of understeer. If i were going to drift with a rb i would pick the rb20 engine.
      RB20 is a waste of time... RB25 is another good choice, cheaper. RB26's weight is not too much of an issue on a S14 since S14 is a better handling car with most of the understeering characteristics on a S13 worked out. If I were you, I will stick with the SR though. Again, it's cheaper... RB26 could get pretty damn expensive when you start building it up... unless budget is not a concern.
      Hubert Young
      KORE 8 Films

Comment

Originally posted by drift matic

you would get less understeer, because of the extra weight pushing down on the tires.
        i second rb20 is a waste of time.

get a rb25, but get a rb20 tranny and get the tranny rebuilt. this will be considerably lightr than with the rb25 trans... and you can use the stock riveshafgt that way./
        matt

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
          you would get less understeer, because of the extra weight pushing down on the tires.
          So by this logic, a car with heavily front biased weight distribution will never understeer?

Can you bring the tech to prove this? Or do you not know much about vehicle dynamics?

Comment

stick to an SR, its a proven combination with S14s. RB's are iron block engines, and regarless of which one you pick it'll be heavier than a CA or SR engine. SR's are alloy block engines, and we've got ones over here that do up to 800hp (but that's on dyno queen cars or drag cars).

Don't be a sheep and put an RB into your perfectly tuned SR chassis just because its "JDM tyte y0". Work you suspension, body stiffening and invest the money you'll flush on putting an RB in on an SR with nice low compression and forged internals so it can sustain some punishment on the track. Besides, even if you do melt the pistons, you'll only have to replace a maximum of 4 instead of 6

If you must go down the RB path, use an RB20. Its got good low down revving and a very smooth torque curve, as opposed to an RB25. An RB20 is better suited for drift tuning than an RB25, use the RB25 for a part time circuit racer or if you're chasing good power on a budget (dunno if it'll be the same cost over there in the US). Both of these engines are available in a FR config with no front diff to deal with like in an RB26. An RB26 in a drift car is only feasible if you have an incredible amount of money to spend on tuning and maintenace, or you're backed by a workshop. RB's are no more reliable than a well modded and maintained SR engine.

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
              absolutely incorrect

Comment

if you noticed i said i think".....". just thought it made sense, more weight pushing down on the tires to give them more grip, i didnt think about weight transfer though....

Comment

Get an SR20 in my opinion. It wieghs less than the RB's, can have the same potential, and is still pretty beautiful to look at. As far as saying the RB20 is a waste of time, I wouldnt go as far as saying that, its an oddity and its a nice looking one so dont diss people who have already done it.

Comment

if you do the rb20 just to say "hey look i have a rb20" then that's cool. but other than the bragging rights i dont see the point in fabbing an rb20 to fit when all you have gained is two more cylinders yielding the same displacement as an sr20......

as for the rb25 being too heavy.....the r33 is a similar size car as an s14 so i dont really see the downside of having it at all. 180 lbs total is not that much for .5 liters and a block that can handle a shitload of power

Comment

Originally posted by NismoSigma
                      Get an SR20 in my opinion. It wieghs less than the RB's, can have the same potential
                      by "can have the same potential" do you mean to tell me an sr20 can "have the same potential" as the rb25/6 ?

an sr20 does not have the same potential as an rb25, end of story.

Comment

hehe I have an RB20 and an RB25 in two of my cars (the RB20 was stock the RB25 was a swap into my R32). I have also driven SR20 powered cars thru work, and friends of mine who own silvias. I can tell you for a fact that SR20's give you a better response to mods than an RB25. Besides, you're most probably gonna blow the majority of your modding budget on the engine swap, so you'd want an engine that gives you the best bang for buck.

While it may lack dyno queen capabilities to put out as much hp as an RB25DET or an RB26DETT, it has a totally different torque curve and response. For amature drift use/daily drivability, I'd say get a SR20DET due to the ease of the swap, and the fact that you have 2 less pistons to melt.

You'd be amazed what a bore, decompressed forged internals and camshafts can do to an SR20. You can very easily up your rev limit to 9000 rpm compared to an RB.

As for the R33 being a similar sized car to an S14. The R33 GTSt is a boat compared to the S14 when it comes to handling. My R32 I can throw into a corner and it feels light, steerable... an R33 on the other hand with similar mods gave a lot more resistance to steering.

Comment

Working...
                        X