new car and mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new car and mods

Hello I am new here so bear with me if i ask questions that have been answered by previus posts ( its 4am and I don't feel like browsing threw old posts)

I am thinking of buying a car and my reserch on the net has led me to belive the 240 sx is probly my best bet for a decent afordable rwd car i just wanted to get your guys opinion on that car and if there are any other decent afordable cars out there.

my second question is when I buy that car what are the first mods I should do in order to get me going sideways ie suspention, adding turbo ect.
    keep in mind I dont have too much mony to blow on it

one word....NoS...lol jk...if u dont have much money like me...go for some new springs...unless u have the will power to save 1000 dollars for a coilover system...how much money u got...oh and is the 240 gonna be ka or ca? i donno much bout 240s..and invest in a bucket seat that u like

Comment

Yes this has been answered numerours times on the boards and it's kind of a sore spot with alot of people here that you didn't browse to find that. Not giving you a hard time but be ready.

But to answer your question, yes a 240 is a great starter car. As for mods, don't do a single one til you get comfortable with getting the read end out. It doesn't take a turbo or suspension to get sideways, it takes balls and you either got em or not. You can't buy those. So once you get that squared away and get the car looose then you can worry about add ons.

I would first start with suspension. A set of springs wouldn't hurt. Also get an extra set of wheels especially if this is going to be your daily. I also highly recommend learning Grip. Get good at it cause you will need that too. You have to be comfortable with the speed before you can even think of sliding at that speed. It's a huge learning curve and takes small steps to get there. Also a driving class wouldn't hurt. Take a class with the SCCA. They are pretty good classes and they teach you the mechanics of driving fast. They can be pricey at times but they will help you in ever facet of your driving skill.

Also remember this, your best Drifters, Street racers etc etc are the ones you would never expect. It's the ones with the flat black car that looks like a piece, or the one that stands away from the crowd. They are not braggarts or loud mouths. They do not put people down or act better than them because they want to learn. You want to be friendly with everyone so you can take what you want from them. You may learn a great skill from someone that you would least expect it from and had you been a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* to that guy, you wouldn't have gotten it. Your best skill in Drifting is not your driving, it's your listening. Listen to everything everyone tells you and pay attn to what they show you. Then take what fits you and apply it. Then practice, practice practice. That is how someone gets real good at what they do. It's not the bolt on parts that make a Drifter, its the attitude. You can buy parts and train skill, you can't train attitude.

So learn what you can, apply it to your style and stay safe. That is the main thing. Don't be stupid. Don't do it on the street where it's crowded, don't do it in your neighborhood and don't get out of control. Know your limits and the limits of the car, then learn to exceed them. Only then will you get better.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Duluth
        Yes this has been answered numerours times on the boards and it's kind of a sore spot with alot of people here that you didn't browse to find that. Not giving you a hard time but be ready.

But to answer your question, yes a 240 is a great starter car. As for mods, don't do a single one til you get comfortable with getting the read end out. It doesn't take a turbo or suspension to get sideways, it takes balls and you either got em or not. You can't buy those. So once you get that squared away and get the car looose then you can worry about add ons.

I would first start with suspension. A set of springs wouldn't hurt. Also get an extra set of wheels especially if this is going to be your daily. I also highly recommend learning Grip. Get good at it cause you will need that too. You have to be comfortable with the speed before you can even think of sliding at that speed. It's a huge learning curve and takes small steps to get there. Also a driving class wouldn't hurt. Take a class with the SCCA. They are pretty good classes and they teach you the mechanics of driving fast. They can be pricey at times but they will help you in ever facet of your driving skill.

Also remember this, your best Drifters, Street racers etc etc are the ones you would never expect. It's the ones with the flat black car that looks like a piece, or the one that stands away from the crowd. They are not braggarts or loud mouths. They do not put people down or act better than them because they want to learn. You want to be friendly with everyone so you can take what you want from them. You may learn a great skill from someone that you would least expect it from and had you been a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* to that guy, you wouldn't have gotten it. Your best skill in Drifting is not your driving, it's your listening. Listen to everything everyone tells you and pay attn to what they show you. Then take what fits you and apply it. Then practice, practice practice. That is how someone gets real good at what they do. It's not the bolt on parts that make a Drifter, its the attitude. You can buy parts and train skill, you can't train attitude.

So learn what you can, apply it to your style and stay safe. That is the main thing. Don't be stupid. Don't do it on the street where it's crowded, don't do it in your neighborhood and don't get out of control. Know your limits and the limits of the car, then learn to exceed them. Only then will you get better.

Good luck.
        ^oh yeah and that

Comment

technique can be shown or "taught", but really, the best way is to go out and learn for yourself. take what people say works, thn try it ot in your own way. if you dont like the way it feels or doesnt work for you, dont sweat it. even coming up with your own moves can work well. after all, drifting is for you to have fun, not to impress others......at least thats how i do it. i go for fun, and if that fun impresses ppl, then thats cool. if not, who cares.

Comment

my budget is like $5000 canadian ( I live in vancouver)

oh and sorry I didnt clerify, I am not a 17 year old kid first learning to drive, I am actually quite experienced in the art of driving and i like to think talented in the art of crazy driving

I drive my fwd car like crazy right now, i have gotten my car to slide around corners albeit with the help of the e brake,
            i have taken off roading, hell i have run over more stuff with my car than i can remember, so I like to think i have ammple balls

and no I am not an idiot I do not do this stuff where lots of people are around or even where there are parked cars that can get damaged

I am not relli interested in the whole drifting community here (mainly cuz i dont even know if we have one) I just wanna get a rwd car give it the bare minimum mods cuz i dont have alot of money, and get it sideways and have alot of fun with it

as for visuals mods I am soo agenst them its not even funny
            the only thing visually that will be diff in my car is MAYBE i might get a carbon fiber hood, cuz that acutally serves a purpose, all the mods I wanna do will be to the engin and the suspension

hehe..........ok to conlude:
            just wanted to know if i will need like beter springs or any other mods to my car in order to drift properly
            and if there are any other cars I should be considering to get in order to start drifting

Comment

ur gonna need visual mods unless ur perfect and dont crash...lol i know what u mean by no visual mods...like underglow...huge wings...i have no objections to anyone who wants to buy a kit to make their car look better though

Comment

I havnt crashed yet so either I am extreamly lucky or skilled, i havnt figured it out yet
                lol

as for visual mods, its ok to make your car look good and stuff but dont think that because you got that under glow it will magicly make you go faster or handel better

I have seen cars which are soo modified form the outside that you cant even reconize the car yet you look under the hood its a stock honda civic or what ever, and for crying out loud most of them are not even stick

I know I am gonna get flamed by some one sooner or latter for saying this
                so b4 you falme me just asnwer me one question, does that type R sticker actually make you go faster?

Comment

Originally posted by MOE101
                  does that type R sticker actually make you go faster?
                  yes

Comment

LSD

Comment

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....................

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

you guys are priceless

Comment

? haha?

Comment

for a starter car i guess the 240 is the most common.....u might go with a hachi or maybe a FC but anywho driving an FR is a lot different then FF......takes a lot more skill imo to learn to drive it fast and making it go sideways is probably not the first thing u wanna work on.....

Comment

yeah i know how much diff rwd is from fwd I used to drive a nissan pickup

I originally wanted to get the hachi but its an older car and might have lots of probs with it, and its also underpowered
                            I already have a fc sitting my driveway I have been trying to get that thing to run for months now, so I am fedup with rx7s
                            so the only choice i relli have is the 240

quote:
                            Originally posted by MOE101
                            does that type R sticker actually make you go faster?
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes
                            i was laphing at that

Comment

dude but i was serious....lol j/k

Comment

Working...
                              X