e-brake problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e-brake problems

last night i put my car up and tightened the e-brake since its loose and doesn't break traction. It's tighter, more of the threads are showing under the car and it's harder to pull up, but the only break in traction i get is if i'm going 50+ and i pull it up really hard it will break for a split second do i need to tighten it more, or do i need to replace something? thanks in advance

What are your brake shoes/pads like in the back?
    I didn't get a whole lot of action from my handbrake until I got rid of the 10 year old stuff. I changed the shoes, the drums and the cables and then it worked alot better. Maybe that's something to check as your car is as old as mine is.

Comment

well just a couple months ago i got my entire brake system redone....

Comment

Maybe there's just not much e-brake leverage for that car. Every car is different for how well the e-brake works. Some are purely ment to hold the car and not much more. Others seem to work very well and can lock up the tires relatively easily.

Try to find a way to get some more leverage out of the system. Whether it's a longer handle or a changed linkage point, find a way to give you a greater force advantage. Be a little careful with this as greater leverage also means a greater range of motion needed to move the pads the same distance. If you adjust it too far, you may not have enough room to fully engage the e-brake before the handle physically tops out.

Comment

are you clutching in?

Comment

automatic
            i'm going to get my tranny swapped this summer hopefully.

Comment

hmm i forget what my friend does, in her auto but she breaks it loose.. i would suppose low speed turns keep it in 2nd and yank on that bad boy if its not as effective then try weight transfer.

Comment

Project µ has the new D1 spec rear brake pads that are suppost to grip alot harder. You could try those out. Also try shifting weight and pull the hand brake during that. Like, if ur making a left side drift. Jerk right then left and a split second after you jerk left, yank the e-brake. I used that when i was drifting in a FF car that had a bad e-brake and worked quite well. Hit me back on AIM, Naval546, if that doesnt work. I have some other ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Stannyboy
                  hmm i forget what my friend does, in her auto but she breaks it loose.. i would suppose low speed turns keep it in 2nd and yank on that bad boy if its not as effective then try weight transfer.

like i said earlier...it's an automatic
                  Last edited by sukimoto; 04-20-2005, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamFazzne
                    Project µ has the new D1 spec rear brake pads that are suppost to grip alot harder. You could try those out. Also try shifting weight and pull the hand brake during that. Like, if ur making a left side drift. Jerk right then left and a split second after you jerk left, yank the e-brake. I used that when i was drifting in a FF car that had a bad e-brake and worked quite well. Hit me back on AIM, Naval546, if that doesnt work. I have some other ways.
                    thanks! im gonna go try that right now. XD

Comment

Originally posted by sukimoto
                      like i said earlier...it's an automatic
                      your car doesn't have a 1-2-D?

you don't NEED the ebrake to drift, try some other methods the guys are suggesting I would recommend throwing around the weight and getting a feel for your max grip and then just inching past that

Comment

Feint and braking techniques are your friends

They work on any car, any drivetrain, any platform. Fwd, rwd, awd, manual, auto, truck, car, whatever, these techiniques work exactly the same. It's what got me started when I was stuck with a fwd, automatic boat of a car with a lovely, unusable foot e-brake that liked to stick on. They transfered right over to rwd and now awd that finally has a very usable, good working hand e-brake(still hardly use it), same techniques, very different vehicles. I like to think of them as the bread and butter of drifting, lol.

If you're not familiar with them, do a bit of research on them, lots of posts if you do some searching. I think there's even a sticky for the braking technique.

Comment

Oh, ok. I didn't know your car was auto either. That make the handbrake kinda weird. You can pull it, but the car is always in drive, so the force of the drivetrain is going to work against you. Some of the other folks are saying fient and wiegh shift, and I agree. You'll get more out of it than the e-brake.

Comment

i have been practicing other techniques its just that i want to learn as many techniques as i can since they all have their own advantages.

Comment

shifting the weight does wonders. but yea, just get a feel for ur gripping speeds, that's a good one. on fc's, there's a lil hex thing u can turn to tighten or loosen ur e-brake. its weird, like my tires lock when my brake is halfway up, maybe a lil less. its right next to it, under all that plastic. i don't know how urs is set up, so i can't help too much. what everyone else says should work.

one of my friends just slows down and throws it from D to 2 and then yanks the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* out of it. its pretty damn fun. he handles it like a stick!

Comment

Working...
                              X