My S14/Stitch Welding 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My S14/Stitch Welding 101

While the motor is being built i figured Id do as much to the car as possible......all the sound deadening material and carpeting are gone.....Been stripping the car down to bare metal for the past month scraping, sanding, cutting etc........I finally towed it to my work this Friday and stitch welded every seam with spot welds exaclty one inch apart from each other(factory seams are held together only with seam sealer(putty)......did the whole interior, around the strut towers, and underneath the fenders........welding the seams adds a considerable amount of rigidity to the chassis.
    Any suggestions on what color to paint the floorboard? I was thinking black and then silver on each of the spot welds.

Rear Wheel Well....

Rear Lower Seat area(RH)

Brace under Drivers Seat.....

Rear Lower Seat are(LH)

Full Interior Shot.....

Rear Upper Seat....

Rear Wheel Well....

Lower Door Jamb....

Passengers Seat Brace....

Drivers Floorboard by Pedals....

wow that looks good,

quick question how come you chose to fo the spot or tack welds (not shure what there cald) instead of welding the enitre part where they meet then griding it down later with a grinder?

are you mgona make a roll cage as well?

Comment

well I have a cusco 6 pt bolt in cage, but I was thinking of going all out and getting a real cage with an x in the back and the door impact bars. Thers really no need to weld the whole seam. Tack welding is more than enough.....anything else is too time consuming and if done improperly, can actually warp the chassis.

Comment

Looks good i did teh same thing to my S13 it is fun for mw for some reason.

Comment

it really wasnt that bad.....its just the car has been down for so long it seems like an eternity

Comment

You use wire flux?
            or shielding gas?

I like stich welding better my self, but you did a good job there and it looks fine

Max

Comment

Working...
            X