Fc Turbo questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fc Turbo questions

Ok im kind of a noob when it comes to rotary motors, but i do know that the Fc3s Turbo 2 came with a 4 port design and i belive 8:1 compression or in that neiborhood. The N/A motors came with a 6 port design and around 9:1 compression. Now i know if moderate boost is applied to the n/a motor you will face detonation issues. My first question, would detonation occur if running mild boost (7 psi, intercooled)? i know that people have run a Garrett ball bearing, at 7 psi on an 11.3:1 toyota motor and it has blown up (yet). so if i kept it mild would it be alittle bit more feasable? Second question is the 4 port design prefrable over the 6 port for the turbo application? i think the 13b-rew came with 6 port twin turbo, and i know the rx-8 comes with a modified 6 port design. Greddy recently came out with a turbo for the rx-8 as well. so which one 4 port or 6 port? Im really not to sure about j-spec port designs i.e. 13b-re, 20b, etc. any help is greatly appriciated, and needed for my build up. thanks guys please controll the flamage if any of what i said was wrong, like i said im a noob.

The 6 port motor is not better than the 4 port motor. The 6 port design has problems with it. And the 13B-REW was a 4 port design, just like the 13B-RE, and 20B. Now on to your question about turbo charging a motor with the 9.5:1 compression rotors in it. It can be done. It has been done with great results. The tuning can be a little more tricky. There is a guy on www.rx7club.com who swears by it. He has put down anywhere from 475whp to just under 600whp running on 9.5:1 rotors. His handle on their is Crispeed. Just be ready to have your car professionally tuned and don't try to run this setup on a stock or reprogrammed ECU. PM me if you want to talk some more about it. I'll get you in contact with the people who can help you out.

Zach

Comment

The 87-88 Turbo II's have 8.5:1 and the 89-95 Turbo's (yes the FD too) had 9:1. The 87-88's weighed 10lbs and the 89-95 only weighed 9.5lbs. 86-88 N/A was 9.4:1 and 89-91 N/A was 9.7:1. We have built some engines with N/A rotors from the 89-91, but Boosted is right, you must have a standalone EMS to support the higher compression, especially when under boost. I am running 9:1 FD rotors in my 89 turbo engine, and I am running an E11v2 Haltech ECU. I am hoping to hit the dyno next week, but with this setup on other cars I have built it should make an easy 525-550rwhp. The key is fuel management and higher octane fuels with higher compression. If you get a good turbo block, then you should be just fine for quite a bit of power to start you out and to help you learn the car easier.

Some good sources for FC only info are:

www.fc3s.org
      www.clubfc3s.com
      www.teamfc3s.org

and the FC email list at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/fc3s_org/

Hope that helps!

Comment

nice info thanks

Comment

Working...
        X