s13 understeer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s13 understeer problem

I have a stock 240sx coupe that suffers form horible understeer is there any tweaking of the factory suspention that I can do to remove it. I have tein tie rods+ends but have yet to install them. In case it matters, I have about 120 pounds of crap in the trunk.

more wieght in the trunk = less grip in the front = understear. Get the crap out.

Comment

more weight in the trunk means the tires would be griping less = oversteer.

Comment

Wow - Have you ever considered it's the driver and not the car.

Comment

how fast are we talkin here.. cuz if its low speed understeer thats bad, id say replave the rods and ends and see how it goes. and get the crapp outta the trunk just to keep the closest thing to balance you can.

Comment

To help with the understeer try some performance tension rods. The only thing that the tie rods and ends will help with is greater steering wheel rotation in counter-steering situations or deep angle drift. Hope this helps.

Comment

Tire pressure, alignment, sway bars. Check those

Comment

empty your trunk out and get a biger sway bar in the back or take your front sway bar out, but take it eazy till you know exactly how your car will behave and practice tranfering your weight to the front of your car

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                  more weight in the trunk means the tires would be griping less = oversteer.
                  You are 100% WRONG. Tires get more grip when there is weight over them.

Comment

thats true in physics but not in the real world.

why do you think the mr2 gets so much over steer. just like when you swap a rb25 or somewthing into your 240 youll get more understeer.

sorry. your 100% wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                      thats true in physics but not in the real world.

why do you think the mr2 gets so much over steer. just like when you swap a rb25 or somewthing into your 240 youll get more understeer.

sorry. your 100% wrong.
                      the mr2 doesnt get "so much over steer"

when people refer to mr2s over steer they say the snap oversteer, because when the back end DOES step out, it steps out quickly due to the excessive weight in the back.

whta the hell did you mean its true in physics but not the real world? the real world is physics sucka.

he said the trunk, we arent just talking about general weight here, there is more weight over the REAR wheels, causing them to stick more, and it probably upsets the cars balance a lot.

your argument about swapping an engine and it behaving the same as having a lot of weight in the back isnt even correct for the situation. first off, youre generalizing, and you havent driven every 240 with swaps like that. second, if you swap the engine, you change the weight in the front, though you argue that it does the same as adding weight to the back. youre argument is baseless.

all in all its the driver, just work on your technique and it doesnt matter who you believe about more weight in the back or whatever get the crap out anyways, less weight is generally better.

Comment

yea maintain balance, check all alignment issues and some sticky tires really wont hurt you (other than your wallet).

Comment

Originally posted by O5m0515
                          You are 100% WRONG. Tires get more grip when there is weight over them.
                          Yes, tires can privide more grip with more weight on them, but lateral grip does not rise in linear fashion with increasing weight. This is why a 2000lb Elise can easily obtain more cornering speed than a 4000lb Camaro, and why shifter-carts can obtain more than 3 G's of cornering force.

Less weight over the rear tires would give that end of the car more grip relative to the weight that they carry, and this results in more understeer (everything else being equal) - plain and simple.

This is not to be mistaken with the fact that less weight over the rear axle will allow the engine to more easily overpower the tires in low-speed maneuvers, but the effect is small and can't be counted on to overcome the increase in lateral grip resulting from small reductions in weight over the rear axle.

My suggestion is to not bother with trying to correct understeer, and spend time to learn entry techniques. Most well set-up drift cars naturally understeer in steady-state cornering, as this provides for a more stable and controllable vehicle while drifting.
                          Last edited by drz; 05-13-2005, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I appretiate all help, and I realize none of you know me personaly, so here is what happened: I initiated a 60mph high angle drift in third gear using the feint tecnique and a lot of throttle shortly before a wide 90 degree turn, the car stayed sideways for about one second, then the car started to understeer
                            itself into the outside curb. my tention rod bushings are shot and my tie rod end bushings are shot.

Comment

Originally posted by insane
                              I appretiate all help, and I realize none of you know me personaly, so here is what happened: I initiated a 60mph high angle drift in third gear using the feint tecnique and a lot of throttle shortly before a wide 90 degree turn, the car stayed sideways for about one second, then the car started to understeer
                              itself into the outside curb. my tention rod bushings are shot and my tie rod end bushings are shot.
                              lol...thats what you get for drifting on the street.

Comment

Working...
                              X