s13 understeer problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yeap
    lol...thats what you get for drifting on the street.

yo yeapie close your yaper, or at least quit imitating the guy in my avatar, he is the master at what he does, and even though you try hard, you will never be better at it than him. so please do your self a favor and give up. I did not hit the curb, the bushings were shot since I have owned the car.

Comment

drama drama drama

Quit being babies. Get some grippier tires to give yourself some more response, but get to know your car better because if you practice you can begin to feel when these things are going to happen.

Just play with tire pressure tire setup and everything else you can right now because that'll help you find what's best for you.

P.S. if you do this at a drift day, cones won't kill your suspension like curbs do

Comment

Originally posted by cfrost
        drama drama drama

Quit being babies. Get some grippier tires to give yourself some more response, but get to know your car better because if you practice you can begin to feel when these things are going to happen.

Just play with tire pressure tire setup and everything else you can right now because that'll help you find what's best for you.

P.S. if you do this at a drift day, cones won't kill your suspension like curbs do

Yeah... I didn't hit the curb... If I did, wouldn't it be safe to say that slaming into a curb at a little less than 60mph would do alot more damage than break 4 bushings? you say "Just play with tire pressure tire setup and everything else you can right now because that'll help you find what's best for you." Well, what is the everything else? Toe? camber? Caster? Can the stock s13 suspention be adusted to eliminate understeer?

Comment

ya s13 have understeer,but thats something they are known for.i had no problem turning mine sideways and keeping it sideways around a pole and holding a pretty good line accounting on have an open dif.but i wont have to deal with understeer anymore accounting on an old guy hitting my car and totaling it.so i just bought a mr2 w/new turbo setup.ill let u guys know how that goes.we will see.it will be fun either way.

Comment

Can the stock s13 suspention be adusted to eliminate understeer?
            NO, YOU JUST NEED TO TRY HARDER

Comment

Im not going to read or post to this thread this any more.

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                thats true in physics but not in the real world.

why do you think the mr2 gets so much over steer. just like when you swap a rb25 or somewthing into your 240 youll get more understeer.

sorry. your 100% wrong.
                Sorry, your still wrong. In the real world, when I have 2 tires strapped in the back the back end does not come out as readily because they have more grip.

Comment

according to your theory then, where tires get more grip when theres more weight on them, switching to a 2 inch wide wheel would have better grip then becuase theres more psi on a 2 inch wide tire than a 8 inh wide tire.

does that make sense to YOU?

Comment

Originally posted by sdtouge
                    according to your theory then, where tires get more grip when theres more weight on them, switching to a 2 inch wide wheel would have better grip then becuase theres more psi on a 2 inch wide tire than a 8 inh wide tire.

does that make sense to YOU?

Weight and width aren't related smart guy. There's more then one factor to the equation, and now your changing multiple variables. I'm speaking from real world experiance. My friend with a 77 Corolla and bald rear tires loaded his rear car with junk so he wouldn't lose traction as easily. When I have tires in the back of my car it's harder to break them loose. What are you basing your idea off of.

Comment

well you said more weight over the rear tires would be more gri in the back. so more wieght over the tires more grip. narrower tires would mean more weight on the tire because of the smaller surface area.

theres another thread somewhere ill find thats the exact oppsite of this. ill try and find it and post a link.

Comment

I definetly agree with the people who think more wieght in the back gets more traction. It is so clear that when you put a ton of weight in the back the car has more traction simply because there is so much weight on it and it is hard to spin the wheels. Anyone who thinks otherwise, why don't you go and put as many cinder blocks or something in your trunk and tell me if you can burn out easier or harder. Now of course when you say more traction it doesn't mean that your car will now handle better and can pull more g's because there is a ton of weight in the back. It's not like it becomes a better handling car. All it means is that it will break loose harder. But then of course you could argue that more weight equals easier to swing it around and initiate a drift but that is a different topic. And in drifting, the easier you can spin those tires in an underpowered car the better off you are, especially if you have a crappy open diff like me.

Comment

ya maybe what im trying to say is once you get oversteer, the back end will swing around more...

Comment

idk i think the more wieght (generally) means the more momentum. so when someone trys to initiate a drift with all th crap in the back wouldnt the momentum creat gobs of understeer?

Comment

I can see where you're coming from sdtouge, but I'm gonna have to agree with O5m0515.

It's true that with a smaller tire there is more pressure per square unit of tire and this should mean more grip and to an extent that is true; Two object of the same weight but different surface areas creating friction with another surface will take different amounts of force to move. But there is much, much more to consider when talking about cars and drifting.

It's hard for me to explain, as it's still very abstract to me, but rubber has a characteristic often reffered to as "sticktion". It's best described as rubber clinging to all the flaws on the the road's surface. The more surface area in contact with the road, the more surface area for "sticktion" there is.

Here's an example:

Take the shorter edge of an eraser press it against the desk and pull it towards you. Now do that again with the long edge of the eraser using the same downward pressure. You'll notice that it's harder to pull the eraser towards you using the longer edge than the shorter one.

B-Wurm

Comment

Originally posted by insane
                                I have a stock 240sx coupe that suffers form horible understeer is there any tweaking of the factory suspention that I can do to remove it. I have tein tie rods+ends but have yet to install them. In case it matters, I have about 120 pounds of crap in the trunk.

k, so i only read a little more than half of what people said.
                                but anyway.
                                yes, 120lbs of stuff will add to tracton. but probably only in the rear. because its in the rear, its like a lever and lifts the front end off so traction is lost in the front.

also, a few settings you can do is a slight toe out.
                                this helps the inside tire turn more with less stearing wheel turning. and it makes the inside raius tighter so turning will be easie and maybe even help induce more over stear.
                                well, that what i've rear from other sites at least.

there are a few alignment settings you can do.
                                like negative camber in the rear to slide it more.
                                stifen up all the suspension.

just search "drift alignment" or something like that in google an other sites for drifting.

hope that helps.
                                never tried it, but was searching it for my soon to come 240.

Comment

Working...
                                X