sr20det Irratic Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sr20det Irratic Idle

My 240 is running like crap. It has an irattic idle (500-1500-500-1500) and is running rich. I pulled my plugs and they were all black. I cleaned them up and it ran ok for 5 min. and then it started to run like crap again. I think either I have a boost leak, oxygen sensor is bad or my MAF sensor is bad. Does anybody have any other ideas on things to check?

if it was the maf it wouldnt respond to the throttle. um id say check that or maybe a vacuum leak, an exhaust leak would also make it run rich

Comment

have you checked to see if the ECU is throwing out trouble codes? if it was a vacuum leak it would make it run lean because more air is entered in the engine than is sensed by the MAF. If it is a vacuum leak you wanna check for a whistling sound. When you took out your plugs did you notice any oil on them? you might also wanna check what color the exhaust smoke is. i think you might have worn valves or pistons, hopefully it's not that tho. listen for any un-usual noises.

Comment

is it redtop? i have a redtop that was idling really bad, and wouldnt really rev, and ran rich as F$&%. i replaced the MAF and it started running decently. also, what is your timing set at? that makes a big difference as far as driveablility and power. i would check the MAF first and timing as well. Also an exhaust leak on turbo outlet pipe would cause a rich condition because your o2 sensor will read excess oxygen in your exhaust stream, so it will tell the ECU to increase injector pulse width to compensate, so it will run very rich. but if the leak is after the o2 sensor, it wont do anything to it really, just sound crappy. well, hope that helps man.

Comment

If it is bouncing idle up and down it has to much air by pass. Try checking the idle set screw on the aivc between the intake manifold on cylinders 2 and three. there could be a few other things also but check that first. I've seen that be a prob more then a few times.

Comment

Working...
          X