rx-7 porting, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rx-7 porting, etc.

im starting to do my TII buildup and im rebuilding the engine. i got ahold of some porting templates from racing beat which i'm gonna do myself when i get the engine apart. (yes i do have mechanical backround, no lectures please) anyways, i was wondering if this thing, relatively stock with street ports on intake and exhaust will even run without a computer upgrade? i am going to get around to getting a s-afc installed among other things as soon as my wallet fills after the rebuild, but can i get away with street ports on the stock computer at least while i'm doing my break-in period on the engine? and with the steet ported engine, s-afc, turbo-back exhaust and other small things, what kind of power could i make at or under 12 psi boost?? (i'm going to be sticking with stock turbo and intercooler for now)

yes as long as u do a little tuning with the SAFC, i've seen people run huge extended ports with T04s on a piggy back system. And power wise that really depends on how well u do your porting, but with stock turbo and intercooler(really only efficient at and around 10psi) maybe 260whp? Any plans for a different turbo? Also you are gonna upgrade your fuel right? 12psi will max out your stock fuel system. I recommend if you haven't done it yet getting some 720s for the secondaries a and better pump.
    Last edited by theflatlander; 05-28-2005, 12:55 PM.

Comment

i'm going to start with upgrading the pump and keeping it under 10 psi boost until i can do the proper fuel upgrades. No plans for a turbo yet, but if i get the money it's definately on the to-do list. now i plan on getting the safc asap, but will my FC run decently with street ports and everything else stock? I'm asking because if it will, i won't bother with many more upgrades until after my break-in period of 4000 miles.

Comment

it'll run just fine with a street port plus stock equipment, and where did u hear that break in is 4000miles, maybe for ceramic seals. Even if you use new bearings, breakin period is only around 2000miles. If you're reusing the old bearings breaking shouldn't last longer than 1500miles.

Comment

i'm using new bearings, mazda seals, it was an atkins rotary full (kit c). They suggest 4k miles, i know i won't last that long off the throttle tho

Comment

Weird all the engine builders i've talked to have recommended 200-2500 for new bearings.

Comment

It doesn't *hurt* to do a longer break-in.

New bearings would double typical break-in periods, so 4,000 miles isn't ridiculous.

Stock fuel system maxes out at 240hp at the wheels.

Comment

Working...
              X