87 Supra tech help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 Supra tech help

I just bought an 87 supra turbo yesterday, my first RWD drift car.... ah finally a real drift car!!!!!

Anyway..... I need some help from anyone fimiliar with...well, anything that I need help with.

I have a little over $3000 ready to put into the car. First thing's first, I want to get it running like new. What are the most common 87-92 supra problems, and how expensive/easy are they to fix? What about some common, easy, cheap things to do to make the car run even better than stock? I heard about replacing the camshafts with those from the non-turbo model supra to create better air/fuel flow. That seems a little wierd to me but that's why I'm asking here.

After I get the car running like new and up to date, I'm going to upgrade the handeling. Are there any recomendations for strut/spring/tire and rim size? Would KYB gas struts with Eibach Pro-kit springs be an alright setup, or should I go crazy and throw on something like an HKS coil-over suspension kit for like $1.5K?

After all that is done, there wont be much else for me to do on my rwd learners car unless I plan on keeping it. Probably not though because I most likely will mess it up and move on to an s14.5.

Thanks a lot.

For suspension I suggest a tokico blues or illuminas if you can afford them with some eibach.

check out www.935motorsports.com for some combos. theres a few others but thats what I'm most likely doing.

Comment

WELL, the head gasket is usually the first thing you should replace. HKS make a metal h/g that will not only last longer but lower compression just a little bit for more boost later.

2nd - get a real suspension JIC/HKS etc. this is a very heavy car that has a lot of rear "swinging weight". You'll want the fine tune-ability.

3rd go have a lot of fun.

I have a little experience with mkIII supras. I spent a lot of time w/ MPU (god rest, bro), and learned a lot from him while he help me w/ my 20v conversion on my old 86.

Terry

Comment

The A70 is some what a difficult car to handle when you start learning. You have to be one step ahead when it comes to counter steering.

1st mods should be an HKS HG.

2nd tires, or Just boost the stock turbo. Either one of the 2. But Turbo'd A70's came with a decent LSD. But these cars are so old who knows what abuse they where put in.

Some high grip sticky tires in the front and cheapo's in the rears. When I first started I used Khumo Supras in the front. lol wore them out in about 3 weeks.

Suspension tuning - a set of coilovers but a good spring and shock combo is a good starting point if your on a budget.

3rd an LSD, or clutch

Pics of my daily and project can be found here. http://www.cardomain.com/id/emission

Comment

Thanks for the replies and sorry for my delay for I have been at the shore for over a week.

ok so first thing on my list is an HKS headgasket and then do some minor cosmetic work

after that, i'm going to throw on a bundle of bolt-ons to ease the beat-down she is going to get

followed by new wheels/tires with a loose grip pair for the rear (when drifting)

then suspension..dunno what yet but i have some time to choose

so again, thanks for the help. if you have any recommendations on performance parts, please let me know.

Comment

replace all the rubber in the suspension, the HG and then go drifting. those cars drift well. they are slow to transition so they allow you to think a little. tires are also a must. if your shocks are bad then replace them also, but there is no need to go and buy the super duper JDM fresh coilover selection of the week yet. work on your driving, go to some events and then put the suspension in there.

Comment

Working...
            X