Sport Clutch Hell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Clutch Hell!

haha I've never driven manual before, and my dad bought me my fc and its got a few good mods on it including a sport clutch. These things are very difficult for me to get from Neutral to 1st and get going, but once im going its easy. I'm just wondering if these damn things are supposed to be a bit harder to handle, and if adding more power to the car would make things eaiser.

I learned how to drive manual on a 95 integra with a stage 2 sport clutch....It was pretty bad =/ It took me quite a few tries(more than 10, if i remember correct) before I actually made it into first without stalling and kept it going. It was easy shifting to all other gears than it was starting in first. The guy who owned the car just told me, when im sitting with the clutch in, get the revs up to around 2k and hold them there, then let off the clutch. Suprisingly, it worked alot better than my trial/error style of figuring it out and probably saved the clutch from getting any more unecissary(sp) wear. Oh, about more power helping, I dont think it would, I think it would end up tearing the clutch up faster since your still learning. Your first year of learning to drive stick, if its anything like mine and everyone else I know, will end you up with at least one burnt clutch. Other than that, I dont know of anything else to tell you. Good luck with everything!
    Last edited by Kptrk06; 07-10-2005, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronConklin
      haha I've never driven manual before, and my dad bought me my fc and its got a few good mods on it including a sport clutch. These things are very difficult for me to get from Neutral to 1st and get going, but once im going its easy. I'm just wondering if these damn things are supposed to be a bit harder to handle, and if adding more power to the car would make things eaiser.
      try to avoid traffic in uphills. You'll hit the car behind you ^_^ (true story).

Comment

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
        try to avoid traffic in uphills. You'll hit the car behind you ^_^ (true story).
        I can attest to this...ended up cracking my passenger tailight when i rolled backwards at a stoplight, but it didnt do a thing to the guy behind me's car. Something what helped me while I was learning to stop-start on a hill was to lightly engage the handbrake, until I felt the wheels pulling. Saved my butt a few times =P
        Last edited by Kptrk06; 07-10-2005, 05:06 PM.

Comment

ya handbrake trick.

also, my birthday is july 21st. got my liscnece on my 16th birthday. went into pacific beach, in the middle of the day summer time, with only haven drivin my car 2 or 3 times, or actually manual at all for that matter.

you learn fast when people are honking and *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* at spot lights lol

Comment

haha well its good to know I just dont suck at manual

Comment

Originally posted by Kptrk06
              Your first year of learning to drive stick, if its anything like mine and everyone else I know, will end you up with at least one burnt clutch.
              at least one burnt clutch, c'mon. haha everyone i know learned in like five minutes. i even taught my girlfriend in like five minutes.

Comment

jeez i learned in a dodge omni when i was 12 and i didnt have much problem as i remember at the time I just couldnt figure out why my dad was trying to teach me how to drive stick ( i just didnt get it then) then i thanked him when i got older and I bought my first car. im on my third car now all of them manual.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASHDRIVE
                  Haha, i remember when i was in san fransisico and me and my mom were on a uphill and yesterday she saw me use the e-brake to hold the car and did it cleanly. This is when i had a modded accord btw. Then on this day, she was driving and on this road, she tried to mimic me and used the handbrake and when the light was green she tried to sync letting down the e-brake while clutching out and with a M3 behind her honking she paniced and with the e-brake still up, droped the clutch and while smoking the tires she set the handbrake down and it actually went backwards (lol) then grabbed a little and went over the hill in a cloud of smoke and honking horns. I was laughing for an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by AaronConklin
                    Just take it easy and take it slow. I had a race clutch in my first car (5.0 mustang GT) and i tell you what, i had the strongest left leg out of all my friends. haha. the trick is to go to a construction site or empty parking lot and just try getting from neutral to first then stopping and doing it over again, like a billion times. that helped me alot. that was quite a few years ago... but still.

Comment

I remember learning to drive a stick in a mid 80's Volvo wagon. That sucked! But now I'm glad that it was something like that. I'm much smoother than most people I know. Just stick with it and drive as much as you can! The more you drive the faster you'll get used to it. I know that owning a 7 can be a pain when you want to drive all the time between paying for all the gas you'll burn plus the little stupid things that break on the car. But keep at it bro. And adding more power will NOT make things easier!! You actually have somewhat of an advantage though. With you starting out with a sport clutch, you won't have as much to get used to when you step up to a performance clutch later down the line.

Zach

Comment

yeah man just keep it up i mean even though i learned right off the bat in a 91 Z71 pickup, and my girl friend got goin in my car realy quick that doesnt mean you suck....haha im just pokin fun at ya man, its difficult for some people, doesnt mean anything, and you do have the advantage of learning on the harder clutch, if any of your friends have like a honda accord or a lil ford somthing(stock fords have got to be the easiest thing to learn anything on) and its a manual try thiers youll probably have it right down

Comment

that sport clutch wont do a lot of difference than a regular clutch. my mom taught me stickshift and shes frickin good at it. the key is keeping your clutch low when accelerating. the biggest problem when u learn is that you feel the engine and gears engage and then u release the clutch compeltely and the car will shake and then stall. if u keep ur clutch low u might overrev your engine but uw ont stall. IF you start shaking and sputtering all u gotta do is depress your clutch and ur car wont die.
                          but seriously dude. it just takes time. i wanted to quit cuz i was HORRIBLE when i started. Im your age as well and i thought that maybe stick shifting just wasnt for me. But now its good. and its much more fun than automatic. when i drive auto i get bored, quickly, which really sucks...what you should do is go to a parking lot.just keep putting it into first and rolling a few feet, depress the clutch and reengage the gear.
                          it all will start to come naturally when u get used to the clutch and throttle timing.

Comment

yea, I finally figured out how to drive with it now, I drive the car really well ...now its on to learn how to drift!

Comment

Originally posted by Kptrk06
                              I can attest to this...ended up cracking my passenger tailight when i rolled backwards at a stoplight, but it didnt do a thing to the guy behind me's car. Something what helped me while I was learning to stop-start on a hill was to lightly engage the handbrake, until I felt the wheels pulling. Saved my butt a few times =P

yea this one time i was at this chick's house on valentine's night, ;-), and her driveway was really steep and i tried to just back up without using the handbrake. i slid forward and almost went right into the back of her truck. i caught it in time though, then used the handbrake start and got out. close one though...

Comment

Working...
                              X