86 RX7 troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 86 RX7 troubleshooting

ok....car was working fine and i let my friend borrow it now it wont even turn over... i turn the key and nuthin. ok so im thinkin, maybe the alternator, or the starter....so i push start the car and it starts right up...right on right? WRONG!... i throw it down into first and i notice it gets stuck...so i start jigglin it around and finally i get it out of first and i try second... gets stuck into second too and i cant get it out! i heard so many things already like i should check the transmission oil level and if it is below it may get stuck in gear like that...i also heard my flywheel might be messed up...before i go droppin the trans, is there anythin that might save me some time and hopefully money? anyone ever had this problem? i havent had any problems with this car until i let my friend borrow it... last time i do that

check your clutch fluid. then i would check your neutral safety switch and battery. report back after you check those out and let me (or us here on the forum) know what you find. we'll play it by ear for now, but those would be my first 2 suspects

Comment

i ended up throwin it up on some jacks and slidin under it to see what might be the problem, after a couple minutes i notice the drain bolt to the tranny is gone and it's bone dry in the tranny i hope the tranny isnt severly damaged. i dont see how that bolt came right out of it?? maybe someone is messin with me and decided to screw up my cars. oh well, hopefully after i fix that and get everything situated with my RX7 i can get back to my other cars. thanks for the help mann, much appreciated - tokyo

Comment

start looking for a new transmission man... i'm sorry.

Comment

ive got a tranny from a 91 NA, good condition, im in anaheim. $150

Michaelessa@hotmail.com

Comment

i might be interested in that tranny bro...just wanna see how damaged mine is... any chance you would be able to deliver it to me? im up in lancaster (near palmdale) i dont have a truck unfortunately, but i will be willing to pay you extra for going out of your way. thanks - Tokyo

Comment

i might be able to do that, i just got back from there today, i went to willow springs... let me know if you want it... michaelessa@hotmail.com

Comment

dude that crap has hapend to me before... but when it happend the car started smoking like crazy and all i could smell was the rotten eggs aroma of gear oil.... your friend should have told you that happend but any how, mine was ok with no gear oil for about 2 days (driveway duty only) and a new bolt and some gear oil cost me 14 bucks, if youve got 14 bucks to spare try that first if that dont work pm me ill give you the # of an rx7 shop down here, 50 dollar trannys

Comment

hmmm i'll try that first. i think the tranny is still good cus oil was still comin out when i got it home. would that cause the car to not turn over at all tho? were would i get the bolt from? i went to a junk yard lookin for one but no RX7's. im new with this whole rx7 rotary thing so thanks for the help guys. were is the tranny oil fill up at? what kinda gear oil do you recommend? thanks in advanced- tokyo

Comment

ok i got my bolt form a junkyard. autozone, pepboys, and advance auto didnt have it, napa may i never checked, but other than that your best bet would be a dealer, which when i went to ask bout mine it was 8 50. which is ridiculous fo a bolt but hey mazda has to make thier money, i use 80 w 90 gear oil and havent had any problems i would reccomend lucas gear oil if you have the extra 2 or 3 dollars a quart. i used some generic brand. the gear oil fill up is the big pain in the *Censored**Censored**Censored*. there is a plug bolt on the drivers side of the tranny about half way up. i had to run a hose from that plug up through the shifter hole and emptied 3 quarts in there it takes forever...... like 45 min. so if your smater than i am PLEASE let me know how you did it cuz that crap is aggravating. other than that i torqued my bolt to 65 pounds give or take cz my torque wrench sucks. and i check it once a month. the bolt incident happend to me about uhhhh 3 months ago and its still tight. so like i said its a cheap shot at fixing th car. and you said it was still leaking so you should be alright. dont go replacing the tranny until youve done this. if you do this and when you shift you hear clunking or groaning sounds your screwed. cuz your stuff is about to explode. OOH and i almost forgot. if you have an extra 110 bucks. go onto victoria british and get your self a new set of gaskets and mounts for your shifter. cuz if these go bad the gears dont engage correcty and you will destroy 3rd gear. i dont know why its just third but ive gone through 5 trannys and all 5 times its always been 3rd gear...... but yea anything else ya need just uhhh hell call me 504-432 7729

Matt

ps your car should start up if this has happend, if it doesnt star tafter you do the gear oil stuff gimme a holla
                    Last edited by GotNismo?; 07-24-2005, 03:05 PM.

Comment

you can find trannys at pic a part, lots of rx7 in the irwindale area. especially NAs

Comment

Working...
                      X