seam riveting, any one done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seam riveting, any one done it?

i was wondering if any one has tried this, i see it on some cars, it wouldnt be as strong as seam welding but an average diy'er this is soemtihng that could be done.

so just post your thougts/expiriences about this

matt

you know you can rent a small welder from homedepot right?
    if you look here http://www.driftfactory.com/weld.php
    look at the small welder they are using
    not even a tank for shielding gas
    just using flux core wire
    should be a lot better then pop rivets

Max

Comment

well i know there aer places you can rent welders, but im not sure if i trust my self learning to weld on my chassy. also oyu ave to take breams to keep the frame it will twist if it gets to hot etc from what ive read.
      well an elctric welder would be to bad. ive done some welding before, but nothing more than just tacking little bolts together dickin around in auto shop.

well thanks for the advice im gonna have to lok into that. definatly better than drilling 1000 holes in it lol

Comment

Pick up a scrap sheet of metal from a industrial supply shop (they should give it to you for free) and just practice writing your name with the welder as cleanly and neatly as possible. That's how my buddy's son learned. Then move up to your chassis.

Comment

the welds dont have to look pretty, as long as they do the job. and practice makes perfect, so get your hands on some scrap metal like they said and go to town, you can probably go to a muffler shop and get scraps there too. as for the metal bending/warping, you need to experiment with different thicknesses of metal to see what setting to use with the welder when it comes time to work on your car. we have done a few cars with an electric welder and it does fine (gas would be nicer and cleaner looking, but hey). anyways, good luck.

Comment

never heard or seen seam riveting

Originally posted by Pennyman
            Pick up a scrap sheet of metal from a industrial supply shop (they should give it to you for free) and just practice writing your name with the welder as cleanly and neatly as possible. That's how my buddy's son learned. Then move up to your chassis.

i like that idea alot, its creative

Comment

Max is right. Welding is going to be much stronger than riveting. Rivets are like fastening the entire car together will tiny bolts. They are better than nothing but they still have room to shift under stress. A weld actually joins the metal leading to a stiffer seam than is possible with rivets. The poster above was also right in that it doesn't have to be pretty as long as it does the job. In reality you aren't going to see 90% of the welds anyway.

Comment

i highly doubt a 20~30 AMP welder will produce enough heat to warp a frame
                now if you have say a 150~300 AMP welder thats a diffrent story

Max

Comment

i was looking i can get a arc welder of ebay, but i dont think tyey are adjustablke for liek 100$, wich i like, or a lincol welder adjustable for 300$ wich i dont like becuase its 300$

Comment

Working...
                  X