Welding your diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding your diff.

Has any one welded a diff on a 240sx at all...I want to do it, but I herd that it will make alot of noise..But you get all the time 2-way diff for free. Please any pros and cons would be good .thanks

I wouldnt do it. It'll most likely break. Transitions wont be the same but it's good for long sweepers. I'm sure others will think otherwise but I'd rather save some money and do it the right way.

Comment

I run a welded diff right now in my 240. I drive it daily most times. It does make some noise, a few pops here and there. The most you get though is the whole wheel dragging thing. For sliding though it is very predictable and does great. Watch out in the rain, likes to get away from you if you don't pay attention and go hell bent into a corner. But if you are even a halfass driver, you won't have any problems there. The only thing is that you have to keep an eye on it because when it goes buddy, it will go hard leaving you stranded wherever you are. I like it but consider it a temporary fix. I would suggest getting a diff as quick as you can.

The opening movie on my site has me using it. www.sixgunsports.com. The second little clip of me (the multi-colored car) is with the welded diff.

Comment

I run a welded diff in my Legacy.

The amount of noise you get will depend on what tire you use - a stickier tire will continue to grip the road past the point where a harder tire will slip and make noise. A stickier tire will also transmit more of the twisting force to your axles, differential, and suspension, taxing those parts more than a harder tire will. The only times that I experience a lot of noise and banging is when turning tightly at low speeds, such as in parking lots and U-turns.

Because you have zero differential effect, it's more like an "infinite-way" than a "2-way". With most 2-ways you can catch grip if you give enough throttle input to be between acceleration and decelleration, but a welded will often stay slipping. No differential effect will also cause you to understeer on anything other than heavy throttle-on (like decellerating into corners, etc.

I also consider it a temporary solution, and will be upgrading ASAP.
        Cheap fixes can cost you a lot in repairs...

For S13, an inexpensive solution would be the J30 (R200) differential, which is VLSD from the factory and is a direct swap (no modification required) to S13.

Comment

Sweet, Thanks for the info guys. I will keep what you said into consideration when I get the car back together this week. I spone a bearing on the sr and just got enuff money to get the new motor tommorrow. I will keep you guys posted on it. Thanks again.

Comment

My mate in a S12 has been drifting with a locked diff for well over a year with no issues.
            Also another mate has a welded the diff in there dori bird (Nissan bluebird in AUS) and he dose welding for a living so in a sense it is professionally done,
            This is it

Comment

ive had my diff welded for the last 4 months, 8,000 miles and 7 drift events. no problems at all. i love it. just be thorough when you do it. if you do it right, its not really a temporary fix. thorougly clean and dry everything, and get as much material in between the gears as possible when welding. make it strong, and you wont break it on stock ka power. also, VLSD's suck *Censored**Censored**Censored*, and are sealed units, meaning that the used, high mileage piece of *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* youre likely to shell out hundreds of dollars for is gonna be a total piece of *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* thats worn out, and isnt fully locking. just weld that *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*.

Comment

i might have to weld a diff to but i'm going to look for a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* old second hand one and weld that.

Comment

Originally posted by zack
                  i might have to weld a diff to but i'm going to look for a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* old second hand one and weld that.
                  I did that recently on an S13.

I drive on it all the time now...I kinda like it

Comment

Im planing on doing that for my celica (185/65-14's going on the back)

Comment

Originally posted by Piner
                      Im planing on doing that for my celica (185/65-14's going on the back)
                      Doesn't the front differential of a Previa AWD fit into your car? 4.7:1 What?

Toyota makes some pretty awesome 1-way diffs from the factory. Silly Toyota...

Comment

I've been running a welded diff in my 180 for 2 years now with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by D-garage
                          I've been running a welded diff in my 180 for 2 years now with no problems.
                          what wheels you run? for track i use my 15's but now i might have to start using my 17's for drift. how much risk is it with good rubber on, to the suspension that is?

Comment

At events I have had zero problem with understeer and that is with stock, crapola suspension and cut springs. The car will want to go straight on you if the tires are not spinning but you will not notice it while sliding. I never do. Our S10 project will have a welded diff as well.

Comment

i've welded lots of diffs over the years. on big rock crawlers, they stress out the steering axles really badly, and break the shafts and u-joints. on the back of a drift car though, and especially nissans, the diffs are made very stong. the axle shafts are again the weak point, and they will snap if you introduce enough grip into the equation. most drifters aren't going to introduce all that much grip though, most go with less, so the whole thing stays together. let me say that if your going to break axles with the welded diff, your doing it through lots of power and grippy tires. this scenario is going to cause carnage regardless of the type of diff you run, because in the end, your putting a huge amount of stress on everything. this stress is being applied with the power, and a good clutch lsd will be applying that power in the same manner as a welded diff, breaking things. the welded diff only really applies extra stress when your off the throttle, and this means the stress being applied is pretty low anyways.

anyways, i'm rambling and you get the point. last thing i will say is a welded diff would suck for real road racing or autox, as it will affect your steering. in drifting though, they kick *Censored**Censored**Censored* as soon as you understand how they work.

oh, and the savings continue when you never have to change the fluid, and you don't have to use 40 dollar lsd fluid.

Comment

Working...
                              X