ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW 3 series (E36) or Lexus SC300? Decisions...decisions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW 3 series (E36) or Lexus SC300? Decisions...decisions...

Okay.

I've got a question and I hope the truly helpful guys here and help w/ this question.

Given the choice, would you choose a BMW 3 series (E36 model) or a SC300?

Given pros and cons for each please. And if possible, explain how the vehicle would handle if I decided to take the car to a drift day.

Consider everything from price to parts costs to maintenance issues.

Both cars use premium gas, so that doesn't affect my decision much.
    The SC300 is really long.

not sure about the lexus but do not take the e36 to drift day unless you are getting an m3. there are some weak points in the regular e36 chasis like the rear strut mounts that you will need to re-enforce before you do any sort of hard driving.

you can look this up on bimmerforums for more info if you want.

i have an m3 and was thinking about taking it to drift day but may just bring out a rental car instead. repairing that car is not cheap. you could probably buy a cheap 240 for the price of repairs to the chasis.

another thing, the bmw chasis is pretty rigid; making it hard to drift. if you've seen any of the online vids w/ bmw's; notice how they don't get that much angle while drift. once you go past that grip point; the car's going to spin. plus a good LSD w/ custom lock is bucks. the stock one is like 25% lock.

anyways, what do i know. hehe. ask hiro about his m3. he ran that at a D1 driver search event last year. pfeiffer can give you insight on the lexus.

Comment

Thanks for all of the detailed advice thus far.

I already have a SC300 (manual), so that is not a problem. And I've driven a E36 a couple of times and could tell that the chassis itself was much stiffer. The steering itself is stiffer, giving more feedback...whereas on the SC, the steering wheel is very very light. In terms of feel, the SC drives very much like a 240SX.

The thing I hate about the SC...is the weak transmission. The 5-speed can only handle about 400hp (give or take). I know there are turbo kits out there (Turbonetics has one, as does BoostLogic as well) if I were to stick w/ the 2JZGE. But I'm afraid if I go this route, the tranny will just blow...and I'll constantly be going through trannys.

I could swap in just the 6-speed...but the tranny alone is roughly $2000.

Yes I can also go 1JZ, but it isn't want I care for...

Now, the mega bucks would be the do the 2JZ-GTE, which would also require the 6-speed swap.

Parts available is not really an issue when you look at how many SCs there are on the road. There are a lot of them, mostly SC400s here in LA. In terms of aftermarket, there is some...but it is not as plentiful as the BMW.

Back to the E36, the car is responsive. I've driven a 325 and a 328. More instantaneous throttle response compared to the SC. It feels like there is more top end available in the E36. I'm somewhat dissapointed w/ the top end speed in the SC, wished it was a bit better.

Just a bit undecided in what I want to do w/ the car. The SC is nice, but it is a bit large as my daily driver (for my particular purposes). So I am tinkering w/ the idea of selling it and getting a E36. Then I'll use the E36 as my daily and occasional track duty. Just thought I would get some pointers.

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

since a picture is worth a thousand words....here are a few..

and from personal experience, the sc is a better choice...
        Last edited by topsecret2001; 09-25-2005, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Well...just a bit of an update. That, and to have any new input show up in this thread.

Now, the 1JZ option has grown on me. Reason being is, I can get the motor and have the swap done for a good price (that and some of the work myself). Not only that, but my current 2JZGE motor is burning oil...and to be honest, a rebuild is necessary before I even consider forced induction w/ this motor. Also, the R154 transmission is pretty darn tough (rumored of withstand upwards of 600hp). This is the transmission that comes w/ the MKIII in the US and the Soarer in Japan. Slight custom modification for this to work, but nothing that is too difficult for any shop.

With that said, I'm HIGHLY attracted to this particular combination. The 1JZ along w/ the transmission.

The 1JZ has some common or mechanically identical parts w/ a few other Toyota models (and some other non-Toyota models). The transmission parts, are readily obtainable from a US junkyard (give or take a few phone calls).

I think I'll keep my 2JZGE around when it is time to do a motor swap. I can then slowly rebuild my 2JZGE and prep that motor.

Honestly, the 2JZGTE...while nice...just isn't a financially feasible proposition for me. The 2JZGE turbo kit method, isn't a good choice when my current motor needs a rebuild (although it can be done).

But the 1JZ method, I can decrease my down time by purchasing the motor and prepping it prior to my car going under the knife. That and w/ the addition of the R154 transmission, I eliminate the need to run the GETRAG transmission.

Any input?

Comment

DOm you already know my input! lol hit me up man!

Comment

Good thread. FreeThinker made a lot of good points about the E36. I would go with the car you already have and go 1Jz sense you already have the car for it. Why spend more money on a car you don't have already when you already have a good slate in fronte of you.

Hey Ryan, haven't talked to you in a long time. Hit me up when you get a chance. IXD II is almost done. I have been to Japan a couple times in the past couple months and got some INSANE footage with Tanaka, Kazama, Bozz, Departure and a lot more. I just need to finish the USA sections and would like to get the car tearing it up on film for this one. (sorry about the HiJack guys)

DRIVE HARD -eric

Comment

Originally posted by projekte36
                Good thread. FreeThinker made a lot of good points about the E36. I would go with the car you already have and go 1Jz sense you already have the car for it. Why spend more money on a car you don't have already when you already have a good slate in fronte of you.

Hey Ryan, haven't talked to you in a long time. Hit me up when you get a chance. IXD II is almost done. I have been to Japan a couple times in the past couple months and got some INSANE footage with Tanaka, Kazama, Bozz, Departure and a lot more. I just need to finish the USA sections and would like to get the car tearing it up on film for this one. (sorry about the HiJack guys)

DRIVE HARD -eric
                Eric! wassup for sure man hit me up, ryancastro@hotmail.com or on aim BavarianTurbo

Comment

Working...
                X