• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on tires

My car: 92 240sx hatch
    aprox 250whp
    2430lbs without me in it

this car is solely my compeition car. im still amature status... but i do not want a beginners setup. right now i have only 17x7 rims all around. so max width i can run is 225..which i have on there now. my fronts are all season 215/40-17s...rears are crapped out 3 season 225/45-17s... i noticed i cant get any angle worth a *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* when drifting and i just spin out.. i think this is because of my crappy rear tires.

since i need rear tires.. im gonna get some good ones for the front too. im going to stick with 215/40s on the front and 225/45s on the rear. my question is... should i go with summer ultra high performance tires all around? or should i go with a less grippy tire for the front or rear or all 4. i have a really tight budget so.. im probably going to go with sumitomo's or somthin cheap. any advice concerning tires would be great.

thanks,

-Dustin

i haven't heard any bad things about falken azenis rt-615s, so maybe you can give 'em a shot

Comment

azenis st115

Comment

Dustin,

A lot of your tire selection would also depend on your suspension setup, but a good setup is stick up front and cheapy tires out back with the whp rating you have.

A tire selection that a lot use of people use are...

Falken Azenis RT-615 up front for grip
        and
        Falken ST-115 in the rear to get sideways

or cheaper alternative

Falken ST-115 in the front
        and
        Falken 512 Ziex

One thing to consider is the 512 Ziex do get eaten up quickly, but do help the car get sideways.

Comment

I had really good luck with the AVON tech M500's, they are cheap, like $100 each and they smoke really well and hold up to abuse great. Ive had about 4 sets on the back of mine and they do well for the money and i have never had any bad blowouts as of yet. Another good part is they are sticky enough to run up front to. Great all around tire my the money...

Comment

Originally posted by sleedawg
            Dustin,

A lot of your tire selection would also depend on your suspension setup, but a good setup is stick up front and cheapy tires out back with the whp rating you have.

A tire selection that a lot use of people use are...

Falken Azenis RT-615 up front for grip
            and
            Falken ST-115 in the rear to get sideways

or cheaper alternative

Falken ST-115 in the front
            and
            Falken 512 Ziex

One thing to consider is the 512 Ziex do get eaten up quickly, but do help the car get sideways.

well... im not an expert yet but, i think having a really sticky tire up front and a less grippy rear tires would cause the car to spin out at high angles. i said earlier that my rear tires are crapped out... yea i can get sideways easy,but if i get any kind of good angle... she just goes around on me. By having a higher grip rear tire, i beleive you can get more angle without spinning out due to the fact when you let off , they will gain traction better.

btw - im running tein flex coilovers right now

Comment

well the spinning out isnt the cars fault....

Comment

Originally posted by Piner
                I could vouch for that

Comment

Falken ST-115's offer plenty of grip for your horse power and they are affordable. You will appreciate the level of grip and lifespan for the money. You can buy cheap tires all day long but if the grip isn't there and they wear fast they end up costing more in the long run. Just my .02

Comment

Originally posted by Piner
                    yea... its my heavy foot

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierDrifter
                      yea... its my heavy foot
                      or someone getting e-brake happy and holding it locked to long

Comment

im also guessing 250hp in that light car isnt helpling when your still learning.

Comment

my advice u have decent horsepower so a sticker tire should be a must anyways wether your learning or not that way you are learning it with bettertires... they help me and yea they can help with drifting but not pursay angles thats all driver and steering/inputs well good luck i recommecnt rocking cooper zeon zx2 they smoke well and last very long actually

Comment

Originally posted by D1 DRIFTER
                            my advice u have decent horsepower so a sticker tire should be a must anyways wether your learning or not that way you are learning it with bettertires... they help me and yea they can help with drifting but not pursay angles thats all driver and steering/inputs well good luck i recommecnt rocking cooper zeon zx2 they smoke well and last very long actually

I run thoes same tires Cooper Zeon 2XS in a 215/40/17. My car is an S13 with similar power and weight. The Coopers take the heat really well, much better than alot of other tires that I've run that seem to just delaminate and fall apart before the rubber is gone. They smoke just fine.

Your spin problem may be setup related or driving. But it's really hard without knowing exactly what your setup is. Sticky tires will help though.
                            Last edited by BenR; 10-20-2005, 01:29 PM.

Comment

that is true, the 2xs tires do handle heat very well and are very consistent, they dont smoke as much as i would like compared to other tires but as much as i have tried all season the 2xs tires have all worn without chunking pretty much to the chord.

Comment

Working...
                              X