sr20det Turbo concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sr20det Turbo concern

No play in the blade but, oil residue on the blades and around the inlet. should i be worried?

could be a number of things
    blown/leaky turbo seals
    could have blow by on the piston rings, leading to oil coming out your vavle cover into your rubber intake (if you still have it) and oil getting in either way.

niether one sounds like too much fun

i'd compression test the motor for any low numbers, then throw a cap of oil in the low cylinders and see if the numbers go up. if they do your rings are bad/going/shot out whatever.

if the numbers are fine, id get the turbo rebuilt/upgraded whatever.

Comment

mine was the same way when it was shipped... sometimes they put oil into the turbo to keep it from seizing up... a bunch of oil poored out of the turbo inlet when i took it off. after the install, it runs awesome and no blue smoke (no leaky turbo)

Comment

well im hoping im with hoosier but if not, anybody got a gt25 or a gt 28 laying around?

Comment

dont gt25r a sr. its too small wont pull till reline. gt28 should be good, but it was a pita to work with on stock mani.

i would honestly consider a top mount manifold and just a journal bearing t3t4. turbos are ALOT cheaper, and youll need new lines anyways if you going t3t4, now just loop the coolant lines, get a oil feed from takas line, custom oil drain, mani, turbo, and dp extension piece and custom hot pipe is all youd need.

Comment

thats it huh.... well i just got my gt28 in today, unstalled and all. there are some advantages to working at a car dealership.... free lines and machinery. hopefully it will work. with my downpipe.... but yea optionimports.com such a life saver

Comment

gt28?

Its a t2.... its gonna match up to the manifold and exhaust....

John

Comment

t28 used differnet exhuast o2 outlet thing housing, oil return, inlet and compressor outlet (That bolts to hot pipe)

its not just put new turbo on and your set like people who havent done tthe work think.

Comment

it uses a "diffent one" which one is that? The other 5 bolt flange? We are talking about an imaginary gt28 right now as well.

Oil lines diffent? Of course. If you are changing center section, then its not going to "bolt up" to the stock lines.

His concern is whether or not his oem o2 housing pipe will bolt to the back of a garret style gt28. And the answer is yes.

I'd love to see pictures btw!!

John Griff
                  RPSport

Comment

the answer is no actually
                    this is the second thread youve posted info in without knowing...

only 4 of the 5 bolts will line up for the 02 housing unless you drill one of them out. or you can get a t28 style and be fine.
                    if you try to force the 5th bolt in you will cross thread it and have to drop turbo and tap it.

Comment

sdtouge was right had to tap the 5th hole..... pain in the arse but all is good

Comment

yeah i just cut out the top part, then widenent it with a drill.

congrat on getting it done
                        how do you like the turbo?
                        spools pretty fast i think

Comment

its impressive i cant turno the boost up past 15psi with out it ooverheating so cooling upgrades are next but yea the spool is awesome, i wanna compare it to the disco potato

Comment

Working...
                          X