S14 SR20 into 89 240SX help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 SR20 into 89 240SX help

Hey I'm planning on doing an S14 SR20 swap into my 240. Just wondering if thats the right way to go. I don't care for RB's that much so I was wondering if the S14 motor would be a right way to go.

ehh no real need for a s14 sr20det beside the fact of VVT-I but if you plan on upgrading cams then the VVT-I will be taken out more then likely... i suggest gonig with an s13 sr20det redtop or blacktop and just get a T28 turbo from a newer motor and go have fun!

Comment

I know that Toda makes cams for the S14 SR20 that can still maintain it's VVT-i, but I was wondering if the VVT-i is worth it. I'm trying to stay away from red tops because I don't hear very good things about them. So any help would be appreciated.

Comment

well the VVT-I's whole purpose is just to help lower end responce less lag and little things like that im doing a s14 sr20det in my s14 i had a redtop in my old s13 and i had no problems with it great motor super strong with a T28 ... made a diffrence in drifting more top end then the T28 i think its all about who you get your motor or swap done from make sure they check out ok and if you get a weird vibe check elsewhere

Comment

So the VVT-i is worth the extra money? Cuz I hear really good things about the S14.

Comment

I think either way is good, both are strong motor's. You may be able to find an S14 blacktop with less KM's than a red-top. But in the case of the vvt-i, i know a couple people that just change out the exhaust cam, because the intake cam is the only one with vvt-i I think? If im wrong please let me know. But by doing that you maintain some of the lower end response while still getting the bigger power gains higher up in the revs. And you save money by only buying 1 cam!!!

But in the end is the cost difference worth it... If you gonna go through it and change everything, then save the money up front. If your gonna do bolt-ons and drive it all day, i think the S14 motor would be more versitle in that manner.

my .02

Comment

umm isnt vvt-i the acronym for toyotas variable valve timing system

Comment

uh yeah

i didnt see him ask about cams either

Comment

yeah it is nissans is like NVCS or something. im guess nissan valve control system? haha total guess. anyways as someone said before, non-n2 racing toda cams are compatible with the s14 blacktop's NVCS. I guess VVT-i was just off someones head, and anyways, everyone knows what were talking about

Comment

lol yea my bad. I knew that someone was gonna notice me sayin vvt-i. Thanks for at least not calling me a dumb *Censored**Censored**Censored*. But so far from what I've noticed the S14 motors arent that much more expensive than the s13 red tops and black tops. But anybody have any good and trustworthy websites to look at?

Comment

yeap either way everyone knows wat where talking about!

Comment

Originally posted by driftdreams360
                        lol yea my bad. I knew that someone was gonna notice me sayin vvt-i. Thanks for at least not calling me a dumb *Censored**Censored**Censored*. But so far from what I've noticed the S14 motors arent that much more expensive than the s13 red tops and black tops. But anybody have any good and trustworthy websites to look at?
                        np we all know what you're getting at anyways, its not a big deal

Comment

i highly recommend heavythrottle.com

Comment

OMG, dont get the s14 engine. You are paying more money for that engine, just for it to limit you at 350lbs of tourqe. Then you will pay more money for a vtc killer kit. This makes NO SENSE. On top of all these things, the wiring from s13 chassis to s14engine can be a nightmare... why touture you'reself? the s13 sereis engine is the way to go because of price, and you can always buy a really sweet piece of equipement to upgrade you're swap with the money you saved.

John

Comment

Working...
                            X