No announcement yet.

SR or KA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one problem i dont get with sr's is why america never got them. They carry more hp, lighter weight, a little less torquey,

the only bad thing i know of is they cant match emissions standards in states, but thats like only 10% higher than stock ka.

Comment

Did you even read the thread? There are more negative aspects to the Sr then its availability.

I got the kits mixed up. XS has the to4 turbo running 6.5 psi. Making 226.8 hp. There is a FMIC included. And it is the kit with the pressure regulator and there is an included pump. Stock injectors.
      The greddy kit has the td06 turbo at 6.3 psi, no intercooler, 370cc injectors, no pump, e-manage, and a throttle body.

4 Gs for the Xs and I dont know about the greddy.
      Last edited by hachiroku-fc3s; 01-27-2004, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SR_power19
        hey, if you were to turbo a KA24de you might as well build your own kit and save some money.Now, i can get a SR for $2,000(red top) here in NY and install it myself and some friends.So about $300 more dollars for misc parts and some food to keep the friends happy while they work So for $2,500
        Yeah doing the turbo and plumbing yourself will always save money. Its not difficult to do, just much easier when it comes as a kit. Dude if you spend $500 of food for your friends when they come over to help you swap an engine, call me up the next time you need something done. $500, what are you feeding those guys. Oh another option we didnt explore is supercharging. I am not much of a supercharger guy but....(man, I cant remember the name of the company *snaps* if you cant tell by now, I have a terrible memory. Anyway) somebody makes an electric supercharger, its a pretty new thing and I cant remember the manufacturer but it puts out 20 psi in .3 seconds. That is incredible for a turbo or super. Problem is it was developed to be used like n2o. With a button, for short stints. Another prob is building your engine to accomodate 20psi and then turning the boost completely off. But with that much boost you could get some pretty high numbers for those 15 sec. It is the size of an airbox and it costs $3500 (a lot, but maybe worth it, maybe not. I figured Id mention it since you are basing your prices on MSRP making this comparable)

BTW, here's a turbo kit at $700 right now.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6755
        T3 turbo too.

Comment

Hey hachiroku fc3s

thanks for the props! Yeah man, Malaysia is a very nice place to live. hehehe

back to the topic on hand, thanks for making things clearer. I was talking about modded SR vs. modded KA. That's why I mentioned broader torque curve, as achieved before. My setup before reached max torque at around 4500rpm and quite flat all the way to 7000rpm. So, it's all in the setup and tuning. Again, if comparing stock engines, then I'm lost because I don't really know KA24DE that much.

BTW, why not CA18DET? hehehehe.. recently High Performance Imports (HPI), an australian mag, did a comparison with three S13 cars with different engines, CA18DET/SR20DET Red/SR20DET Black Non-NVCS. I'd love to see the KA24DE included into that but non was available in Australia.

Doing the installation yourself is a cheaper way to go. And, you'll also learn a lot of things about your modification, if you do it yourself. Don't rely too much on what you can get from the net. Talking to experts and authorised workshops is a good way to get the feel of things to come.

btw, SR20DET engine cost USD2k? is that a half cut or just Engine/Wiring/ECU/Gearbox? I know a lot of SR20DET engines from Malaysia has been shipped to US because the market demand there is greater and you guys are paying higher prices. FYI, an SR20DET red top half cut complete with gearbox/rear diff/fuel tank cost about RM4000 here. now, USD1 = RM3.8. hehehehehe a CA18DET half cut would cost less than RM2500. An RB20DET half cut from R32 GTS-T is about RM2600 and ultimately, RB26DETT half cut from R33 GT-R is about RM14000.

ok.. gotta get back to work!

-R32GTST-

Comment

Yeah I love the CA as do many others, but right now Im trying to get ppl to think about things before they go yanking engines out. I just want ppl to make informed decisions. I dont care if you get an SR if you get it for balance and revs, or a CA for mad hp and revs, or any of the RBs for power though from the crowd I run with, the RB20 has about the same reputation as the SR. That being not good. I just dont want a bunch of ppl running around going "My car is jdm tyte yo, I got an SR20 and Naws and I can dorifto." Stupid ppl can copy intelligent ppl. I would rather make the educate the dumb and let them make the decisions themself.

Comment

$2,000-$2,500(i can get it for 2k) for a SR motor set(full, uncut harness, ignitor,ecu,etc.)The clips are more expensive, usually around $3,000.These prices are for red tops.I don't know about prices from other parts of the country.

EDIT: ^^Thats for the malaysian guy(sry i forget ur SN at the moment)

Comment

by half cuts, it means front clips. WOW, USD2000 for engine/harness/ECU. hmm... I think i might go into the exporting business... hehehehehehe

USD2000 is around RM7200. For that amount, I can get complete front clip of SR20DET S15 Spec R (RM5200) with another CA18DET clips (RM2000)! hehehe.. waaaahlau.. no wonder the local wreckers in Malaysia are exporting to US and Australia!

Well, anyone interested to be my partner in US? hehehe..

-R32GTST-

Comment

i'd love to help you slang engines in the US...i dont have no money though

Comment

My shop would love to get into importing clips. Email me if you need anything.

Comment

Stick to whatever fells right for you.

Comment

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah... blah blah blah... blah blah... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. blah blah blah

R32GTST-

You have mail.

blah blah blah... blah blah blah blah blah.. blah blah blah blah blah blah.... blah blah.... blah blah blah...........................

Comment

I don't think anything is wrong with the SOHC KA. I've seen a SOHC KA's (all emissions removed) with dual mikuni carburetors that kicked azz.

Why do people call the KA24 a truck engine? The KA came out first in the 240sx. Nissan trucks did not get the KA till 1990. NIssan trucks before them had the NAPS-Z Z24i, a 2.4L engine also (which many people mistake the KA for). IT HELPS TO LOOK THROUGH ACTUAL NISSAN FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS to get ACCURATE information, rather than internet crapp.
                          Last edited by borodori; 01-29-2004, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I don't think anything is wrong with the SOHC KA. I've seen a SOHC KA's (all emissions removed) with dual mikuni carburetors that kicked azz.

Why do people call the KA24 a truck engine? The KA came out first in the 240sx. Nissan trucks did not get the KA till 1990. NIssan trucks before them had the NAPS-Z Z24i, a 2.4L engine also (which many people mistake the KA for). IT HELPS TO LOOK THROUGH ACTUAL NISSAN FACTORY SERVICE MANUALS to get ACCURATE information, rather than internet crapp.
                            Thank You

Comment

More fuel for the fire.

My turbo KA, at over 4+ years of boosting on stock internals is still ticking strong. Daily driven at 1.0 bar with 91 octane. Gets used in open track and Drift Day events.

Mid-range is insane. Quick boost response. 330 ft-lb of torque about 4,000 rpm. Power of ~320 rwhp @ 6,000 to 6,500 rpm. Yes, it's a flat power peak there.

All done for under $5k investment on a stock internal KA... Will be hard to find another example, either KA or SR with the same $$$ and endurance/reliability.

For those that question it, go to freshalloy.com. Go ask about the long running KA+T.

I used to take charge in the SR Vs KA threads. Way too easy to slam either engine for it's faults. I've reached a conclusion, way back in the days of the argument, that it's Rocky Road vs Vanilla. Which flavor do you prefer. Simple as that. Both can get the job done for the same amount of money.

Comment

i like torque! sticking with my ka-t setup.

mmm.... rocky road..... [/homer]

Comment

Working...
                                X