Testing the Ignitor chip on the SR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing the Ignitor chip on the SR

Does anyone know how to test the iginitor chip on the SR20DET? I ant get spark with my swap, and the ignitor box might be the problem. Everyone knows how expensive they can get and they are not common anywhere in this state. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to test it with a multi-meter to confirm its demise before i spend the cash for a new one.

first we have to adress what the ignitor chip does. It basically amplifies the signal from the ecu. ON the 4 wire plug, put the positve lead on, then ground it out. Test the 4 wires. See if spark is comming down. Are you getting fuel btw? how did you test for fuel? Does the ECU have power. Are all the powers hooked up correctly/?/?/? Lots of questions. And there are solutions around a "coslty ignitor chip". And just to correct you're "JDM" myth you have going. The z32 used the same chip. The q45 and ca18de engines have cross compatible ignitors. All offered in the US. All the size of you're pocket at the junkyard.

John

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jon, here is where my situation stands right now...

With the Ign switch to ON i test each wire on the 4 pin plug with a test light and get a light every wire. Then when i plug in the ignition chip and test off that i get no lights with the test light. I know there is a ground pin on that 5 plug side, but i dont know if it needs to be grounded to get power through the chip.
      I got my hands on a used one yesterday from ebay that worked perfect on another swap, and still no spark.
      I checked spark by pulling out the #1 coilpack and put a plug in it to try. No spark. Then i tried the other 3 and still no spark. Could it me my CAS?

Im sure im getting fuel because i can hear the pump kick on and after a few times of tring to start it i can smell it, i havent modified any wires back there, and my harness was done by Yuri @ www.wiringspecialties.com. If i cant fiqure it out i might end up taking it to a shop to have them run a "Consult" Dio on it.

What do you guys think it could be?

Comment

Working...
      X