s13 carbon insert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s13 carbon insert

Where do you get the carbonfiber sunroof insert for a s13? i have looked every where all i find are the inserts for the s14!! so help me out

this thread is useless without pictures!
    rah. wheres that avatar

Comment

http://www.raretrick.com/index.asp?c...roductsID=7607
      something like that, but for a s13!!!!

Comment

yeah i'm looking for one of those too!

Comment

if I were keeping my hatch, id build one

thats nice tho....any other pix or mounting descriptions?
          Last edited by DriftGirl; 12-19-2005, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Maybe it's just me and that fact that I am deeply rooted in the flash style drifting, but any of you see any reason for this outside of a strictly track car? This does render the sunroof unuseable, yes?.......cough. cough. Rice.

Comment

well acuall it is usalable, the stock unit of the sun roof is ruffly 25 lb and the carbonfiber insert removes every componet to that sun roof and it olny weighs 3 lb. so that is 22lbs less then stock. so shove that up your ricer @$$.

Comment

Originally posted by hachiroku-fc3s
                Maybe it's just me and that fact that I am deeply rooted in the flash style drifting, but any of you see any reason for this outside of a strictly track car? This does render the sunroof unuseable, yes?.......cough. cough. Rice.

well .. my sunroof is broken LOL .. and i don't like to get my head leaky and it's gonna' cost 150 bucks to fix (granted the CF plug is 2x that) .. but if i can get something for like 100 bucks and save a little weight then i'm for it. if not, then i'll fix mine i guess .. and money you know i'm about the flash style too! hehehehe.... but who knows i just may go to lowes and slap a piece of crappy plexi-glass on it! hahaha...

Comment

http://www.robotcombat.com/marketplace_carbonfiber.html
                  You can get the cut to size the s14 sunroof is about $125 worth of carbon fiber to cover and then some stainless steel pop rivets and silicone and you can make the insert for about $130 and its easy and looks nice.

Comment

Would be more expensive. CF by itself isnt rigid enough in those sizes and weights offered. You'd need the CF with hex center core...a bit more spendy

Comment

cf in those sizes is fine since you can buy it in different thicknesses. 1/8 is very rigid and you can get it even thicker. you dont need it to be super rigid its better a little less rigid because it will mold to the roof line better

this is directly from the above website and will give you an idea of how the "rigid" carbon fiber sheets are.

How can I gauge the thickness of these sheets?
                      The sheets we have come in various thickness from .013" to .125". To give you an idea, we've created the following references:

0.013" (0.33mm) is pretty thin, only about as thick as 2 pieces of paper stacked. It is easy to cut with a scissors, and can be bent around a cylinder without much effort. This is most commonly used in cosmetic applications, and installations where looks are more important than protection and rigidity.

0.020" (0.5mm) is about as thick as if you stacked 5 pieces of paper on top of each other. You can cut it with a good pair of scissors, and it will bend, just not as easily as .013. Good for applications that want a little more protection, while still looking great.

0.032" (0.8mm) starts to get pretty rigid. As a refernce, a standard audio CD is .048, so it's a bit thinner than a CD, but try bending a CD, now imagine that the .032 Carbon Fiber sheets are TWICE as rigid as that CD! This stuff is great. Cut it with a saw, or you may be able to get by with a tin-snips.

0.050" (1.27mm) is just under 1/16" thick, it is a little thicker than a standard CD. It is quite rigid, and will not easily bend around any surface. Makes great material for small structural application or impact resistance.

0.125" (3.175mm) is a full 1/8" thick. Very durable and rigid. Try bending this, and you'll understand that composite materials are amazingly strong and durable. Great for structural material. You will definitely need a saw to cut this. Finish the edges with sandpaper.

0.25" (6.35mm) is a full 1/4" thick. This is some serious stuff. No way you'd be able to bend this with your hands. For most purposes, this thickness is way overkill, but some of our customers have requested it to cut out small carbon pieces.
                      Last edited by brainfood; 12-20-2005, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brainfood

0.032" (0.8mm) starts to get pretty rigid. As a refernce, a standard audio CD is .048, so it's a bit thinner than a CD, but try bending a CD, now imagine that the .032 Carbon Fiber sheets are TWICE as rigid as that CD! This stuff is great. Cut it with a saw, or you may be able to get by with a tin-snips.

so the .032 should be good for a sunroof cover .... but dang, for that price i might as well get the sunroof fixed ... hahaha ....

Comment

The s14 sunroof is like 650 sq in. and they are what like .20-.22 a sq. in thats only $125-$140 depending on thickness

Comment

Working...
                          X