Rim & Tire Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rim & Tire Advice

Looking for some advice. I have a 1991 240 Fastback, 122xxx miles on stock 155 HP engine w/TEIN super drift coilovers and a KAAZ 2-way LSD. The rim & tire setup I have on and want to drift w/ is:

(F) 17x9, 215/40R17 (R) 18x9.5, 235/40R18

As you can see the suspension, LSD, and rim & tire setup is similar to some pro's. I figure they're the best people to look to when building a drift machine.

My question is, since the engine is stock will I have enough power to be able to successfully drift w/ my rim & tire setup? Furthermore, if I do will it put too much stress on my drivetrain and engine to the point where it will break after only a few drift sessions? I mean, I know drifting already puts stress on every aspect of the car but you can't progress much if your car breaks b/c your parts are too much for it to handle.

Thanks for the Feedback,

Rob

that tyre and wheel combo you've listed will give you the drift "look", but will not be very practical for actual drifting. Not only will you have a very hard time spinning up 18x9's, but have you checked the prices of 18" tyres recently?

To give you and idea, i run 17x9's all around on nissan laurel with rb20det making 230rwkw (roughly 410hp at the flywheel), and i use 225/40's or 45's up front, and a range of 215/45's (for practice) up to 235/45's (for comp and wet days) on the rear. keeping in mind entry speeds are steady around 190k's at tracks here.

when i first started hitting the track a few years back, i had 17x8's up front with 215/45, and out the back had 15x7's and 16x7's with throw-away used tyres. this was with a car with roughly 120rwkw (200hp), and gave me a good balance of control up front, with ease of spinning up the rear wheels. at this time, 140k was all we were pushing through corners.

In your case i would reccommend going for 16's all around, and getting good grip tyres on the front, and poor quality on the rear. Unless you are the drift master and can skid up 18x9's???

Comment

id run 17x9 all around, that way you can rotae front to back at drift events too.
      not too many pros use a off the shelf kaaz or super drifts btw

anyways, id run 215 40/45 all the way around. should feel nice and not be to hard to spin. and you can change from front to back like i mention before.

Comment

I run 225/45-17's on my stock ka on 17x9 +20 all the way around. I have run 215/45-17s on the front but and as small as 205/50-17's on the rear but I hate the 205's. Alot of people I know run 195's/205's on ka's but its not enough traction for me. With the 225's I can gain speed in the drift and I can keep it full throttle 95% of the time.

Thats a year ago when I first started on 225's Plenty of power with the ka for 225's. I can drift most of the oval at irwindale top of 3rd with the 225's I see no reason to go narrower. Also dont go with 18"s on a ka price of tire and wieght is not worth it. I would keep 16"s if I had more 16" tires. Moved up to 17's only because I get a lot of good used tires for super cheap and they are almost always 225/45-17

Comment

don't get the stuff that pros use, poser, just get stuff you like and what you think looks good not what the pros use.

Comment

We currently run 215/40/17 all around. It helps to have the same tire size all around with the amount of tires we go through.

Comment

thats gonna be expensive. you can do it, but its pretty much foot to the floor and unles you have a tire sponsor, thats gonna be expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by wht240drftr
                Looking for some advice. I have a 1991 240 Fastback, 122xxx miles on stock 155 HP engine w/TEIN super drift coilovers and a KAAZ 2-way LSD. The rim & tire setup I have on and want to drift w/ is:
                so you have the pro setup..but can you drift like one? what the pro's or other people use may not be what's ultimately best for you.

i wouldnt mind tein SD's and a 2way though.

Comment

Hello, that set up will get you that pimp stretch look,I would go 225-40-18 in the back a touch smaller on the width,a little more stretch firm it up. With a stock KA you can spin it but your gonna have to lean on it. Also what brand and modle tire are you gonna use this makes a differance.Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                  X