Rx7 Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rx7 Starting Problems

Hi guys, my friend has an fc and he has problems starting it. Here is his question: Hi guys, I have an 89 rx7 gtu and I am having some starting problems. During the summer it started fine every time but as the weather got colder I started having problems. The colder it was, the longer it took to start. Now it is to the point where it will never start, before it could take about a half hour and it would finally start. The battery is new and is good, when I try to start it, none of the lights go dim and no voltage seems to be drawn from the battery. The starter was less than one year old and I just replaced it a few days ago. If I park my car in a place where it is warm like my garage and leave it there for a day then it will start but if I leave it in the cold it never starts. Another wierd thing that worked (but only once) is we heated up the ignition switch and the start button (it has a button start, not a key start) and after they got hot, it started. Then later on in the day it was dead and heating it up didn't work anymore. We tried replacing the start button but that didn't seem to help. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Also everytime the car is still warm... example: I drive to Wal-Mart and go in for 10min and come back.. the car ALWAYS starts. Dont know why tho... but as soon as it sits out long enough in the cold... it will not start anymore. Any help would be appreciated because I need my car to run ASAP.
    Thanks.

there could be many things that could cause that. but by the sound of it, i would check the sub-zero starting assist system. what does it idle at when the car is warm?

Comment

do you mean it doesn't crank? or it cranks and won't start ?

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, but I guess we just figured it out, the switch that notices that the clutch is pushed down was messed up.

Comment

Working...
        X