motor options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor options?

i have a 1990 240sx w/ a locked up/ blown motor... i dont really know whats wrong with it b/c i bought it like that w/ the plan to do a motor swap.... My question is, since I wanna drift and have a lot of power just to have fun w/, should i get the sr20det and stay w/in the family and have around 200 HP, or go ahead and get the rb25det and have around 250 HP? Since its an rb motor the power band is basically limitless. Any help/suggestions and other performance additions to either motor would also be appreciated!

Thanx

SR all the way. do the research, im sure you will be pleased with the end results.

Comment

Sr

thanx..i just want sumthing that wont be to complicated to install, run and upgrade.. and cheap of course. ive researched both and like them both i just want whats best for my car and my beginning experience....

thanx again and any other help would be appreciated!

Comment

IMO put the SR,but if you got the cash to do it correctly go for the RB

Comment

SR or KA-T. i dont think the RB is worth it.

Comment

Drop a stock used motor in it. Learn to drift first.

Comment

i second what tuner has to say.. rule #1 learn to drive first. then learn to drift in a low hp car.. it will make u a better driver

Comment

sell everything buy a hachi

Comment

I would swap a 13bt rotary into it..
                  That's one of my projects possibly in the near future..

Comment

Put the RB ,if you got the cash to do it correctly,and you will have yourself a streetable monster,just my .02 dont flame,THANKS

Comment

I say SR20DET. It is the stock motor. If you want to get technical. In Japan would they drop in a KA24? haha just kidding. If you want to drift. I wouldnt put an RB25 in becuase of front end wieght. It would totally unbalance the cars wieght distrubution. You have other options of course. SR20,CA18, or maybe even the RB20. The SR20 is probably the best swap that you could possibly do for a drift car. Let me tell you. My friend has an SR20 black top motor in his 1991 S13. He couldnt be more pleased with the results. But its not just the motor. A 1.5 way or even 2 way LSD needs to be factored in as well as a lot of other parts. Going cheap on parts. The swap would probly cost about $4k-$5k. If you know how to do the swap yourself it would save about $1,700+ My other friend wanted to do an RB20 swap, but after he got in a ride in the S13 with the SR20 black top he change his mind within a matter of minutes. Go with what you think would be best for you and your car. I hope this helps you on your decision!

Comment

Originally posted by drift4ever
                        thanx..i just want sumthing that wont be to complicated to install, run and upgrade.. and cheap of course.
                        You just described a KA. S14 KAs can be had for under a grand in good running condition and spares are plentiful. The swap into an S13 is easy and only requires a few of your existing 13 parts to make everything happy.

If you've got so much money to be thinking about doing SR and RB then you can surely afford the $1500 for a good set of coilovers, a few hundred toward a good 2-way differential and around $300 for a good bucket seat.

My car has 115rwhp and weighs 3000lbs and I can drift just as well, if not better, than lots of people with SR S chassis.

Comment

Get a used ka. Get a 1.5 or 2 way. Learn how to drive/drift. Then turbo the ka. Just me 2cents.

Comment

thanx

ive got the cash for the sr... and i want it to be a street monster, but in the future i want it to b pure drift. so i want something powerfull and at the same time comfortable.. i want good power b/c i have 275 HP in my current car and want to b at the same range. i will get the 1.5 LSD prolly, but may go to a 2. im not afraid to spend $ on my baby, but i want it to b worth while and to move forward in the upgrade process... i cant afford a KA turbo, then a SR.. but i can afford the SR, and a few other drifting mods. do u guys understand? not flaming ne one, just letting u kno the situation... but thanx for the opinions, and as always more are welcome!

Comment

i went with the sr and im extremely happy with it. aluminum > iron anyday for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X