A Drift Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Drift Car?

I'm thinking of getting the 1987 200sx (japan its the silvia s12) do you think that would be a good drift car. It looks like a AE86 and also they have a turbo verison and alot of suspension sets for them.

MY MOM HAD ONE OF THOSE...

i was thinking of getting one just to be different.. but its been done... someone has an sr20 in one, which killed it for me... some of them come v-6 and i think theres a ca18det version, but im not sure... id go for it...

Comment

Yea some did come with a V6... But yeah man, thats pretty cool that you have thought about getting one. We should keep in touch. Seriously!

Comment

The Gazelle/Silvia is a cool car. It'll take some work to get it driftable, but it can and has been done.

The US 200sx came with several engine options, most notably the VG30DE V6, and the CA18ET (SOHC). The car isn't that light, but it's not a boat either. It has IRS, but its suspension geometry needs a lot of work. I did a lot of research on this car because Corollas are getting ridiculously played out, and becoming the next ricer dream car. (no offense to corolla owners)

Comment

get a 240sx!!!hahaha... cause i have one and it rawks and it has so many potentials. for the older versions you have to research though cause the parts are hard to find. or not hard but expensive.

Comment

Re: MY MOM HAD ONE OF THOSE...

Originally posted by Dori Star
            i was thinking of getting one just to be different.. but its been done... someone has an sr20 in one, which killed it for me... some of them come v-6 and i think theres a ca18det version, but im not sure... id go for it...
            yes there was an option with the factory turbo CA...

these are great cars and i know two guys that have drifted these cars. it's not that hard to set them up, there's lots of parts, and they're cheap. i love them and it's gonna' be my next project w/ a CA swap. the V-6 version only came in hatchback in the states, and the only one with a factory LSD. the coupe(s12 silvia) in japan (and some grey market aus. imports) could be had with the CA turbo. and some had the FJ20 turbo...but these were rare and i think only in aus. but don't quote me on the last part.

Comment

Re: Re: MY MOM HAD ONE OF THOSE...

Originally posted by JonnySlick
              yes there was an option with the factory turbo CA...
              but these were rare and i think only in aus. but don't quote me on the last part.
              quote quote quote... haha, jm

Comment

real funny you hachi humper!

Comment

Being the S12 expert that I am I can tell you that the V6 VG30 S12s did not have LSD factory. In fact no US market S12 ever had factory LSD. I've owned 2 S12's so far and have been on the Club-S12 forum since it started. http://www.club-s12.org You can swap an LSD into the V6 or turbo models from a Z31 300zx, 88 or 89 with the viscous lsd. Someone on club-s12 has done this but you have to swap the axle flanges as well. Or if you have the big bucks you can just buy an LSD for the R200 from Nismo.

Comment

haha! my roomate has one of these cars. I told him we both own Silvias! he looked at me like "WHA?" I was messing with him. He could give a $hit about that car. Its also the V6 model with the polished wheels and 5 lug, definitely no LSD though. He spins out in it so many times, its funny. He's had it forever.

Comment

go with a 240 for sure.... i had one, they're the s&$*@..... until i crashed it

Comment

go with a 240 for sure.... i had one, they're the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*..... until i crashed it

Comment

Man, don't get a 240 unless you want a 240. I say do what you want to do and get an S12.

of course, any time you buy an older car like that you're going to have to examine it closely for problems and fix them before you start adding stuff to it. with an engine bay big enough for the VG30 you could probably fit all sorts of stuff in there, but why not get a SOHC CA18ET and put the DOHC head on it? Essentially you would have a USDM CA18(D)ET. Performance parts would probably need to be shipped from Japan, but you could adapt an intake and exhaust from a similar car and maybe even use US-made injectors, pulleys, and such.

Weight can always be taken away - spare wheel, carpet, sound deadening, stereo, panels, covers, hood (fiberglass/CF replacement could be made easily), power options, door panels, rear seats, fuel tank (get a fuel cell), windows (lexan or polycarbinate replacements) and bumper supports (track only) will save you a few hundred pounds. Even when it seems that everything that you can loose has been lost, you can always ditch the unit-body construction for a space frame. Even stock, the S12's still weigh less than the 7M-GTE Supras and people like to drift those.

You could manage the rear suspension.

In 2 or 3 years when everyone's searching for alternatives to the AE86's and 240's and RX-7's, you will have been one of the first to be drifting an S12 while it's becoming all the rage.

If you just want a drift car, get a 240. If you want a unique and personal drift machine, get the S12...

-MR

Comment

Ugh the ca is garbage if ur gonna swap a nissan engine for a drift car at least do an sr. Revs high plenty of aftermaket support and MOST parts such as turbo and exhaust gaskets are available at ur local auto store. Ca's are ooold, crap for head gaskets as well why waste ur time swaping a motor that will prolly be in worse condition than a ka with a measely like 30hp more n even less torque. Rb's are awesome but if ur gonna spend time on a motor swap I'd at least go sr not a beat up old motor just me 02 cents rb20 (a 2 liter with 6 pistons? Sounds like low revs and more weight)and ca18s just aren't worth the time in my eyes I'd rather go with a vg30de off a z32 than any of the two more torque n hp NA.

And I'd go with a 240. Mine only has bolt ons n more than often I've gotten it sideways simply flooring it n turnin the wheel helps havin small diameter tires tho lol I kno v8 mustangs camaros make more power but here's what I tell ppl with those cars takes less power for my car to go just as fast power to weight is what I luv about the s cars 5hp from an intake is more noticable on a light car than a 3400 pound car

Btw how much to s12s weigh? A base s13 weighs around 2700 se ones 2874 or so pounds from all the power options lol
                            Last edited by nemesis91101; 03-20-2009, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Nothing like responding to 5 year old threads. And the CA18 isn't garbage and an RB is too long for the S12 unless you don't mind having an extra 100+ lbs of weight hanging out past the front axle and then trying to figure out where you're going to put your radiator. Also, the S12 already had a VG30 option albeit the single cam model, the twin cam is too large for the engine bay.

Comment

Working...
                              X