S15 SR swap or S13 with bigger turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S15 SR swap or S13 with bigger turbo

Well, it's about that time for my car to get a swap. But I've been thinking, the money is sort of an issue but if I can get the most amount of power for a good amount of money then I'm up for it. I was thinking about getting an s15 Sr20 swap which will significantly up the horsepower on my little car but I was thinking would it be better and spend about 2-2.5k less and spend that on a bigger turbo? What do you think guys?

just get the s15 sr. the power will keep you happy until you can get the new turbine. it will be a good time for you to get used to the s15 motor, then by the time you have money for a bigger turbo youll know your car which is the most important part of modifying.

Comment

i've heard the s15 speed sensor is on the diff so if you go that route look into that.. and get the rear end if you want your speedo to work. if not then go with a s14. or save some money go s13 sr then upgrade the turbine, injectors and maf.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonPrynce
        Well, it's about that time for my car to get a swap. But I've been thinking, the money is sort of an issue but if I can get the most amount of power for a good amount of money then I'm up for it. I was thinking about getting an s15 Sr20 swap which will significantly up the horsepower on my little car but I was thinking would it be better and spend about 2-2.5k less and spend that on a bigger turbo? What do you think guys?
        If money is an issue then stay away from the S15 motor..it will probably be at least 6k for the swap..when you'll only get about 50 more horsepower than the earlier SR20 motors..sure you'll have the six-speed transmission..but if the car is only going to be used for drifting then its pretty useless..

Save some money..get a black top SR20 from an S13 or S14..and you can either get a bigger turbo..or get a boost controler..bigger injectors..and raise the boost to get the power you want..just dont over do it.

If you go that route you should save at least 1500 bucks maybe more which can go to a LSD or a decent suspension package

Comment

Also, the 6-speed on the S15 SR is said to be pretty weak compared to the rest of the SR trannies, it can only hold around 350 horses (someone check me on the figure).

Comment

Well, the s15 motor might give me about 50 more horsepower than the other sr's but the price I think is about the same if I consider getting a new turbine. I mean, the s13 motor is, what, about 3k? A little more, a little less? I can get a blacktop too, as one of you said. The s15 motor offered me less miles and the bump in horsepower, but I don't really like the 6th gear. If the gearbox is already weak, then it might be a problem when I'm running hot and might lose a gear. With the s13 motor being at about 3k, some suggested to get a different turbine. T3/04? T/04? With the cost of one of those and the s13 motor, it should equal the cost of swapping in a s15. I have a pretty good mechanic friend who said he was willing to swap in the engine for me so its just a matter of me picking at this point. (Irrelevant but I think he just swapped a b16 into is civic hatch) Anyway, it comes down to a 6k 250hp 240, or a 3k s13 motor with possibly a 2k(?) turbo, but also I'd have to get new injectors and maf, which could possibly be over 6k and give me more than 260hp? Anyway, I have some time to figure it out, but thanks for all your help. I'd love to hear more so keep postin'!

Comment

if you're just looking to get 260 hp, a s15 t28 or maybe a t28rs will give you more than enough horsepower, and those only go for like...$800

Comment

Working...
              X