ad

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Redtop SR, Power Cutting Out/Backfiring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redtop SR, Power Cutting Out/Backfiring?

I'm not a mechanic...but have a good understanding of motors....but not turbo's.

Issue: When "pressing hard" on the throttle the car seems to backfire and loss or power. She was running fine yesterday. The problem isn't speed or RPM related. This issue happens in 1st gear, or 5th-it doesn't matter. The car runs fine when i'm just driving-not 'getting on it'.

Issue Started:

I 'think' the problem started when I accidently rev'd to 9K in 1st gear-so I'm thinking that maybe I sucked in the intake manifold gasket or something.

OR, it could have started when I was cleaning my engine bay-I think I got some water in the area where the coil packs sit.

Anyone, please give me some pointers....thanks.

9000 wtf? dude take off your valve cover ASAP and take a peek at the *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* you just broke. Have you ever noticed that companies like TOMEI, GREDDY, JUN, etc... sell RAS (rocker arm stoppers) thats b/c the ESSARR sucks at revving high!, they have a really bad head design.

but seriously bring that to a good mechanic and have them check it out. If you didnt break anything then you a very f'ing lucky, b/c i know people that have revved lower than that and snapped a rocker arm!

If you take it aprt yourself, i advise using an egg carton to organise the small stuff and write down where everything went. Even though some *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored* looks the same its .0009 different in thickness, this is where i messed up when taking my SR head off.

sorry for the harsh post, but thats a bad mistake. 9k pft! what were you thinkin honda boy

Comment

ouch umm on a nicer note compared to above.... i dont ADVISE YOUR EVER doing that again but if it was a rocker arm you would have a knock so im assuming it could be anything from a boost leak... to vacumm hard to say if u have a boost leak it will stutter under boost but do not ever rev your car even to redline without rocker arm kit its like 65 bux simple install save your motor dude... plus with the price of gas you dont want to waste your 91-93 octnce on killing your motor do you!?

Comment

HAHA, Thanks for the reply-harsh or not.
        Also, I didn't rev to 9K-just passed redline-about 8K (just noticed).

FYI,,, I didn't rev that high on purpose its just that this damn motor revs so fast in 1st gear that I didn't realize it. I looked down and said OH *Censored**Censored**Censored**Censored*-shifted. Could something really be broke and it still runs normal under normal throttle? I'll take of the valve cover asap-after I drive it back home. haha..I'll keep you posted.

As far as the boost leak-a great possibility-the intercooler is bent because some bumb @$$ put a jack under the intercooler-this was before I bought the car. I can't see a leak but its a possibility.
        I don't hear any knocking. No taps or anything.
        Last edited by mayler; 04-29-2006, 03:20 PM.

Comment

my guess is a boost/vacuum leak, or a mafs that possibly is goind bad try a new mafs and pressurize the system to see if there are any leaks. if that doesnt show anything out of the ordinary, check to see if you have any type of smoke coming from the car under heavy boost. how many pounds is it being run on right now?

Comment

sorry for the harsh reply, but try to be nice to your sr!

if its not the rocker arm, then i would guess the problem would be the maf. If you plan on upgrading turbo/injectors you might as well upgrade to a Z32 MAF (N62).

btw. i had a similar problem i couldnt give it more than 25% throttle w/o bucking/missing, etc... what is your boost gauge reading? that is if you can get any.

Comment

Originally posted by ill_sil
              sorry for the harsh reply, but try to be nice to your sr!

if its not the rocker arm, then i would guess the problem would be the maf. If you plan on upgrading turbo/injectors you might as well upgrade to a Z32 MAF (N62).

btw. i had a similar problem i couldnt give it more than 25% throttle w/o bucking/missing, etc... what is your boost gauge reading? that is if you can get any.

25% throttle w/o bucking....that's my problem.
              Boost gauge,,,,don't have one-yet. I do plan on upgrading to the Z32 MAF. I havn't removed the engine cover yet-lazy.
              Thanks for this help guys. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
              X